Author Topic: Scan to Catalog not working on new catalog  (Read 1130 times)

Offline SAMouzon

• View Profile
    • The Original Green Blog
Scan to Catalog not working on new catalog
« on: July 09, 2023, 04:47:02 AM »
I have 6 catalogs which have been working as expected for years. I added a seventh catalog yesterday, but when I did Scan to Catalog, it did nothing, as if no files were there, even though there are a couple thousand. I've tried everything I can think of, including going into the source folder and just selecting the source folder from within its enclosing folder. And of course I have the new catalog checked in the Scan to Catalog dialog box. What am I missing?

I'm running Photo Mechanic Plus Version 6.0, build 6784 (409cf99) on a MacBook Pro 16-inch 2023 Apple M2 Max running Ventura 13.4.1. For reasons that are a long story, I was on an earlier MBP running Mojave until very recently; this is the first catalog I've tried to create since getting the new one; might that be part of the issue?

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Scan to Catalog not working on new catalog
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2023, 01:02:13 PM »
I've tried everything I can think of,

It might be helpful to for you to detail what you have tried, so that we aren't suggesting that you try things that you have already done.

It would also be helpful to see a screenshot of your "Scan to catalog" window, perhaps with the output that you see when you attempt to initiate the scan. And lastly, please send us your log file. This may contain filenames and file paths and other information specific to you, so if you prefer not to post it publicly on this forum, please send it to support@camerabits.com

You can find your log file by going to the 'Help' menu and choosing "Reveal support Data", this will bring you to a ZIP file called PM_log.zip.

Offline SAMouzon

• View Profile
    • The Original Green Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2023, 04:15:12 AM »
It might be helpful to for you to detail what you have tried, so that we aren't suggesting that you try things that you have already done.

I created a new catalog named Tweets. These are for images I've tagged with keywords, told the story of the image in the Description field, and are ready to go to my Zenfolio site at both HD and 4K. I also use these for social media posts, not just Twitter, although that's how it started. This catalog should contain the images in two folders; one is "tweets 1920x1080" and the other is "tweets 1080 square" which are inside the "tweets & presos" folder. When I first created the new catalog, I selected both folders in Folders to Scan, but that didn't work, so I selected each folder individually, which didn't work, either.

It would also be helpful to see a screenshot of your "Scan to catalog" window, perhaps with the output that you see when you attempt to initiate the scan.

I've attached it. It returns the Scan Complete result almost instantaneously. But the path in Folders to Scan is correct. Since the screenshot of the Scan to Catalog window doesn't show it all, here it is:

/Users/stevemouzon/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox-StudioSky/Steve Mouzon/Mouzon current files/Correspondence - Dropbox/tweets & presos/tweets 1920x1080

Is there anything about this path that would cause a problem?

And lastly, please send us your log file. This may contain filenames and file paths and other information specific to you, so if you prefer not to post it publicly on this forum, please send it to support@camerabits.com

You can find your log file by going to the 'Help' menu and choosing "Reveal support Data", this will bring you to a ZIP file called PM_log.zip.

Attached.

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2023, 10:19:01 AM »
Photo Mechanic will skip scanning your Library folders or anything contained in them, which is why that scan appears to be completing immediately.

Offline Bob Russell

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2023, 02:02:44 PM »
There are a couple of things you can do. The next time you run the Dropbox installer, you will be able to choose a different location for the Dropbox folder. Pick some location that is not inside of your user accounts Library folder. I'm using my Pictures folder on my Ventura OS without any issues.
In the meantime you can open a contact sheet on the tweets 1920x1080 folder, select all and then use the Include in Catalog option for the right-click menu.