Author Topic: iOS version of PM  (Read 2296 times)

Offline cliffetzelphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • website
iOS version of PM
« on: July 29, 2024, 10:30:41 AM »
I'm starting a new thread on this topic as the last time this request was discussed has been quite awhile ago.

I don't understand the resistance by Camera Bits in developing a version that will run on iOS.  The recent TOS fiasco by Adobe sealed the deal for me and many other photographers about kicking Adobe to the curb for good.  Photomechanic has the opportunity to jump into the fray and release a mobile version that can easily replace the ingest/catalog component of LR and C1 on iOS.  Affinity Photo is a solid app on iOS so it's the perfect 1-2 punch ingest/editing workflow for those on assignment/traveling.  We already have Davinci Resolve & Final Cut Pro for iPad and both can edit from external storage.

PM Plus specifically would be a game changer IMO but what do I know, I've only been shooting for over 35 years and seen what's happened to the industry/profession. ???
Cliff Etzel - Photographer, Storyteller, Humanitarian

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: iOS version of PM
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2024, 10:38:24 AM »
Cliff,

We simply don't have the engineering resources to take on another large project/product like this.  We're a very small company and don't have the ability to make an iOS version of Photo Mechanic at this time.

-Kirk

Offline cliffetzelphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • website
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2024, 11:51:54 AM »
I understand the position on this and yet there has been a steady request from users like myself literally begging for an iPadOS version.  It's my understanding that Apple Code has a certain amount of reuse across their various device OS's and why I brought up the question again.  And so many like myself are moving away from laptops and replacing them with iPad Pro's for field work, I'm surprised that there hasn't even been more of a hard look - I get that development costs are a real issue.  But I also ask to survive in this profession, being able to pivot makes good business sense and given the sheer number of iPads in use these days, along with mobile video editing apps being the Lite versions of their full desktop counterparts, I'm left scratching my head in 2024.  If it entailed a reasonable monthly subscription fee I'd be down for it, but it sounds as though there are no resources available to take on such a project.  Truly sad given all that Photo Mechanic potentially offers users who have moved to mobile devices. :(

All the best.
Cliff Etzel - Photographer, Storyteller, Humanitarian

Offline vale

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2024, 06:08:25 AM »
but if this version will go live, at a lower subscription, thus not paying the bigger subscription for main program, CM will lose money and the thing doesn't make sens. To be included in the same subscription (ipad+pc/mac) as lightroom, it will be a thing