Author Topic: XMP when are they created  (Read 902 times)

Offline Max Lemesh

• View Profile
XMP when are they created
« on: April 02, 2024, 12:27:36 AM »
Using PM for a long time I’m ok with xmp existing, but for new users in my channels of PM help there is always this question what are those annoying xmp files and how to get rid of them.

I might be wrong but some people seem to not get xmp files created when working in PM
So question is which setting, or interaction in PM creates those xmp files people don’t like. What important info is stored in them and what will they lose if they delete them

I know it might be obvious, but wanted to have a proper answer for those people

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
Re: XMP when are they created
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2024, 09:07:02 AM »
Photo Mechanic can embed metadata in some raw file formats. For DNG Files, it will *only* embed metadata and not write the data to a sidecar file.

I did the best I could to indicate what Photo Mechanic is capable of doing with a given file type in this document: https://camerabits.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/48000361354-supported-file-formats-in-photo-mechanic-6

They may have enabled embedding metadata in their RAW files via the IPTC/XMP preferences page (by checking 'Allow RAW files to be modified' and unchecking 'Always create and/or update XMP sidecar file'). For file types where metadata cannot be embedded, it will make a sidecar file regardless of that setting.

So question is which setting, or interaction in PM creates those xmp files people don’t like. What important info is stored in them and what will they lose if they delete them

Any and all metadata could potentially be stored in these files. What they might lose will depend their settings in Photo Mechanic as well the settings in other applications that use XMP files to store their data like Adobe Camera RAW and Capture One

Offline Max Lemesh

• View Profile
Re: XMP when are they created
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2024, 12:50:30 PM »
Thank you! I'll make sure to save this page and reference it