Author Topic: Not giving priority to RAW metadata in RAW+JPG setting  (Read 779 times)

Offline jeffw

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Not giving priority to RAW metadata in RAW+JPG setting
« on: April 28, 2024, 09:46:13 PM »
I have a RAW+JPEG set and I have updated the cropping in LrC.  It updates the crop info in the XMP but not on the JPEG :-(
I have Preferences -> IPTC/XMP -> When Viewing photos in RAW+JPEG use the metadata from “RAW file” set
BUT: the crop comes from the JPG and the resolution is WRONG (4MP instead of 16MP), not the RAW and thus no crop is shown

If I toggle the RAW+JPEG view with a Ctrl-j I can see the crop in the contact sheet and preview and the resolution is correct in the info panel

If in LrC I set the preference General -> “Treat JPEG files next to raw files as separate photos” and apply the metadata to both the RAW and JPG files then both the crop and resolution are displayed correctly.  However, this toggle requires you to resync your files and for 30K files on a 4 GB/s SSD and 24 core CPU takes more than an hour to go one direction and then another hour+ to go back.

It would be best if the “preferences” would be honored and use the metadata from the RAW file.

Is there something I am missing ?

I’m running PM+ v6.0 build 6890 and LrC 13.2

I have tried both with D4 and Z9 RAW+JPG… I shoot both to allow me to do immediate upload of select JPEG and then edited RAW over the next 1-2 days.

Offline Bob Russell

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Not giving priority to RAW metadata in RAW+JPG setting
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2024, 05:51:19 PM »
Hi Jeff,

Thank you for the update. I am able to recreate this issue with my sample Z series NEF and JPG files. When the IPTC prefs are set to read from the Raw when paired with a Jpeg, the Contact Sheet Label fields are reading from the NEF. Unfortunately the Preview window's Info panel and the Contact Sheet's Show Info Tool Tips, are using the metadata from the Jpeg. I'll file a bug report.

Best regards,

--Bob