Author Topic: Label and color class  (Read 1055 times)

Offline Bob M

• View Profile
    • The McElroys of Point Alexander
Label and color class
« on: May 03, 2024, 05:57:53 AM »
What is the difference between "label" and "color class"?  As far as I can see there is a one-to-one correspondence between these two, at least for my photos.

Online ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Label and color class
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2024, 11:30:39 AM »
They are just two different pieces of metadata that came along at different times that represent similar ideas, so we made it so that, by default, Photo Mechanic will update both Color class and XMP label simultaneously and from the user perspective treat them essentially as if they are the same thing. Color classes are a numeric value that only Photo Mechanic knows about. XMP labels are text strings that several applications will read and update. Unless you are experiencing an issue with them, there isn't much of a reason to stray from the default settings with respect to this metadata.

Offline Bob M

• View Profile
    • The McElroys of Point Alexander
Re: Label and color class
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2024, 05:41:19 PM »
The reason I asked was that both are offered as a filter option in the database, which struck me as strange if they are essentially the same thing.  I noticed this when looking for database fields that I don't use that I could repurpose (without success).