Author Topic: IPTC Subject Code  (Read 2138 times)

Offline Raphael

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
IPTC Subject Code
« on: May 06, 2024, 07:09:46 AM »
Hi,
I need to enter the "IPTC subject code" from the NewsCodes standard. (8 numbers).
I managed to get the code with the "Structured keyword" but i couldn't find a way to have it populate the "IPTC Subject Code" field in PM.
Is there a way to achieve that in PM ?
(using PM 6).
Thanks

Offline Bob Russell

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: IPTC Subject Code
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2024, 09:56:56 AM »
Hi Raphael,

If you have a text file with the IPTC Subject Codes, then you can Import this into the IPTC dialog, IPTC Subject Code's popup list. The text file should have one code per line.  Go to the IPTC dialog and click the down arrow at the right end of the IPTC Subject Code field. Click the Edit IPTC Subject Code option at the top of the list. In the Edit IPTC List dialog, click the Import button at the bottom and then locate your text file. Double click the file should open it and now you should see the 8 digit codes in the center field. Click the OK button to save the changes. Enabling the Autocomplete option to only use a field's popup list might help save some time when entering a code in this field.

Best regards,

--Bob

Offline Raphael

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2024, 11:38:40 AM »
Thanks for your reply.
Yes, that's an option, but in the dropdown to fill the field i will only get numbers (not easy to find the one i need).
I have a text file with "description" comma 8 digit. I'd like to search the description and get the 8 digit as a result in the field.

Offline Bob Russell

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2024, 05:05:45 PM »
Hi Raphael,

Thank you for the updates. I'm not sure how to use a description as a code without making the process overly complicated. If you could use the 3 character Category codes for the IPTC Subject codes and descriptions, then that will make the process much simplier. Once the Category field has the 3 character code, you could use ={cat}= in the IPTC Subject code field to show the 8 digit code number.  The description can be accessed with ={cat}#2=.  If these are code replacement variables are saved in the Metadata Template, you could enter the 3 character Category code in the IPTC Info dialog and then click the Apply Metadata Template button to fill in the IPTC Subject code field as well as others. I have attached a sample code replacement file with the 3 character category codes as the Codes for the 8 digit number and description.  I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any questions.

--Bob