Author Topic: PM+ Beta?  (Read 2485 times)

Offline DavidHoffmanuk

• View Profile
PM+ Beta?
« on: July 03, 2024, 01:33:12 AM »
This new beta seems to be only for PM, not PM+. Is that right or have I missed something?
David Hoffman

Offline DaveBurbank

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: PM+ Beta?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2024, 04:45:29 AM »
I'm not in the loop, but I think that's true. My guess is that they want to get the core PM functionality rock solid before they integrate the "plus" features. Or maybe they're still rewriting the "plus" features code.

Offline DaveBurbank

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2024, 05:05:22 AM »
I guess I should retract my previous post. I haven't figured out how to get the PM+ apple silicon beta but apparently it's out there:

https://home.camerabits.com/2024/06/28/photo-mechanic-beta-universal-binary-available/

There are several references to a Plus version of the beta on this page.

Offline DavidHoffmanuk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2024, 05:25:42 AM »
I guess I should retract my previous post. I haven't figured out how to get the PM+ apple silicon beta but apparently it's out there:

https://home.camerabits.com/2024/06/28/photo-mechanic-beta-universal-binary-available/

There are several references to a Plus version of the beta on this page.

There are but I can only see build 7701 & the activation key posted by ahoward &, unless I've missed something, that's only PM, not PM+

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2024, 09:59:30 AM »
Long time no see!

I've activated the beta with a monthly subscription key for PM+ (there was a 10 month freebie for old PM users, did you miss that?), not ahoward's beta key (no idea if it's limited to PM or PM+). I got PM+ functionality working in the new beta. Haven't tried ahoward's key myself.

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2024, 10:25:27 AM »
Hey folks, my apologies, the beta feature was initially not enabled on the key that I posted. I have updated the key to enable the catalog features of Photo Mechanic Plus. In order for Photo Mechanic on your computer to recognize this change to the license, go to the 'Help' menu, hover over "licensing" and click "Deactivate this computer". Then, once the deactivation takes place, start up the beta build of Photo Mechanic again and activate with the same key. The catalog features of Photo Mechanic Plus will now be enabled.

Online Max Lemesh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2024, 01:52:14 PM »
there was a 10 month freebie for old PM users, did you miss that?

Wait what?? There was?

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2024, 03:41:25 PM »
Wait what?? There was?

As noted in the various announcements on website and newsletter,  folks that purchased a Photo Mechanic or Photo Mechanic Plus license less than a year before the changes made to our licensing on March 11, in addition to the license that they purchased, we email pro-rated coupons for subscription licenses for the balance of the year. So for example, if someone had purchased Photo Mechanic 6 in January of 2024, they would have received a coupon for a free 10 months of Photo Mechanic monthly subscription after we made the change.

We posted this in our newsletter, which you can subscribe to via https://www.camerabits.com/cgi-bin/subscriber.cgi/newsletter, we have had a link to this information at the top of our website since November 2023, and we posted about the changes on social media at the time.

-Mick
« Last Edit: July 03, 2024, 04:14:35 PM by ahoward »
Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline DavidHoffmanuk

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2024, 02:34:56 AM »
I recently asked about being able reliably to restore a catalog in case of serious problems & as well as backing up the catalog folder the advice was to also back up the folder at:
~/Library/Application Support/Camera Bits, Inc/Photo Mechanic/catalog/state

Trying the new Beta I see that when I run it, it also uses this folder. Does that mean that if the Beta did something bad that could also cause a problem with my working catalog?

If that's the case then would I be safer logging in as different user & making a new catalog with a different (disposable) set of image files to try the Beta on?

David
« Last Edit: July 05, 2024, 02:42:27 AM by DavidHoffmanuk »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2024, 09:37:29 AM »
David,

I recently asked about being able reliably to restore a catalog in case of serious problems & as well as backing up the catalog folder the advice was to also back up the folder at:
~/Library/Application Support/Camera Bits, Inc/Photo Mechanic/catalog/state

Trying the new Beta I see that when I run it, it also uses this folder. Does that mean that if the Beta did something bad that could also cause a problem with my working catalog?

That is a possibility, yes.

If that's the case then would I be safer logging in as different user & making a new catalog with a different (disposable) set of image files to try the Beta on?

Yes, absolutely.

-Kirk

Offline 30west

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2024, 12:58:04 PM »
I guess I "missed the boat", having purchased the perpetual license to PM6+ in July last year under the assumption (based not on a PROMISE, but an expectation) that an Apple Silicon version would be out "soon" and that typically owners of less than 1 year would be granted the free upgrade.

I honestly can not imaging how the marketing decision to switch to a subscription without this major version improvement was meant to appeal to anyone and since many of us did not choose to pay twice for the same capability, it is doubly odd and frustrating that we are also not allowed access to the Beta. This is all within the purview and business decision authority of the company, but I hope they recognize that it has created  some frustration and ill will among customers that would otherwise try to continue to support the product.

I am now migrating to Photo Supreme, because it is already compiled as a macOS Universal app (as well as Windows) and actually allows me to to use the license on more than 2 machines. I use (all Mac) a Studio desktop, a fairly capable) MacBook Pro and a bottom shelf "El Cheap" Costco M1 MacBook Air (just for travel). The wrangling activations between these 3 machines in PM+6 is one reason I left the same obnoxious licensing deal with Adobe.

I recognize that PM+ is the "Gold Standard" in this sphere and the tech support has been grand, so I'd like to remain a loyal customer at some point in the future, but the apparent lack of appreciation to their loyal customers will have me "on the fence" for a while.

Offline platti

• View Profile
    • my gallery on zenfolio
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2024, 04:18:34 AM »
Huuu ... Photo Supreme? Why that? These two products are completely different, not comparable ...
greets from a hill
my gallery on zenfolio