Author Topic: Subscription Model  (Read 41365 times)

Offline willievass

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Subscription Model
« Reply #180 on: June 30, 2024, 02:14:30 PM »
guys, please understand: you CAN still use the 'old' program as long as the OS of your device keeps the support. So, don't skip PM just because they put this subscription model out, use it as usual (you already paid it) and only if something wrong (or a very extraordinary update [apple sillicon is NOT an update, it is a MUST in 2024]) move to a decision.

You can use the old versions but not the update or the beta release the other day, (unless I am mistaken) effectively an historical user is loccked into the Feb 24 update, without any offer of a discount to help marination to a new system. Personally I would buy a new perpetual license to give me a year of updates, at which point I would be able to use the silicon version and see if PM still works as well as it has done.

Alas no discount was offered, and I cant justify the cost.

It's a shame but I was hoping we'd see some form of carrot waved to encourage users to migrate to the new version and pricing structure.

I think that horse has bolted. Would have been nice to have a limited time upgrade offer for legacy registered users when the Apple Silicon version is released out of beta.

However those (few?) legacy users already upgraded to the full price perpetual version would complain.

Offline Max Lemesh

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 01, 2024, 06:08:03 AM »
This is just sad... it could've been handled way better.
Surely racking up pricing and locking out current loyal user base from meaningful upgrade paths or even trying long awaited native Mac app is working great — 13 pages of support so far.

I swear by PM, but it is very hard to promote it to fellow photogs now with the current practices and pricing... and lack of any meaningful updates in years
« Last Edit: July 01, 2024, 06:48:57 AM by Max Lemesh »

Offline vale

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 01, 2024, 11:24:06 AM »
As others had said, there wasn't an official announcement through an official email (or more) to announce the new pricing (with discounts for existing users). Or not for everyone, it's not really clear. I'd say that most of the users, still are on old versions of PM, because it works for them. Probably those with bulk licensing got some deals and Camera Bits kept going with their money. I really don't understand how someone could jump from the old version of PM to buy the new version, when nothing is change. Unless money is not a problem...

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 02, 2024, 10:27:11 AM »
Please see my reply in the Beta 2 announcement thread for how to access the beta without signing up for a trial or making a purchase: https://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=16261.msg79374#msg79374

Offline jrp

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 27, 2024, 10:20:50 AM »
PMs USP is variables / macros. I use it to add basic keywords / captions to my photos. However, to flesh out my keywords, I use various AI based plugin in Lightroom. It will not be long before the big AI players will mark up your pics better than you can. I use Llava, run on my MacBook, to provide even better annotation than Google does.

In 5 years, it will not be necessary to keyword your pics, as the search engine will not use your keywords, but recognise image features on the fly (as, eg, apple photos does already).

Paying full price for an App that will only be supported for a couple of years, and may be obsoleted before then makes little sense. Shame that camerabits hasn’t been more ambitious.

Offline Max Lemesh

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 29, 2024, 03:26:29 AM »
For me PMs USP is automation at ingest and during batch work.
I love how you can come up with crazy use case scenarios and make it work with variables and code replacements.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #186 on: July 29, 2024, 10:25:52 PM »
PMs USP is variables / macros. I use it to add basic keywords / captions to my photos. However, to flesh out my keywords, I use various AI based plugin in Lightroom. It will not be long before the big AI players will mark up your pics better than you can. I use Llava, run on my MacBook, to provide even better annotation than Google does.

Which Llava package are you using?  Do you have a reference (URL) for it?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline jrp

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 01, 2024, 11:41:43 AM »
https://github.com/Blaizzy/mlx-vlm

This gives you access to several llava models. 

Code: [Select]
import mlx.core as mx
from mlx_vlm import load, generate

import os
from pathlib import Path

# model_path = "mlx-community/llava-1.5-7b-4bit"
model_path = "mlx-community/llava-v1.6-mistral-7b-8bit"
#model_path = "mlx-community/llava-v1.6-34b-8bit"
model, processor = load(model_path)

prompt = processor.tokenizer.apply_chat_template(
    [{"role": "user", "content": f"<image>\nProvide a caption and keywords for this image"}],
    tokenize=False,
    add_generation_prompt=True,
)

picpath = "/Users/user/Pictures/Processed"
pics = sorted(Path(picpath).iterdir(), key=os.path.getmtime, reverse=True)
pic = str(pics[0])
print(pic)

#output = generate(model, processor, "http://images.cocodataset.org/val2017/000000039769.jpg", prompt, verbose=True)
output = generate(model, processor, pic, prompt, max_tokens=200, verbose=True)

print(output)

A setup for Llava 1.5 is available here: https://github.com/ml-explore/mlx-examples/tree/main/llava They both require https://github.com/ml-explore/mlx

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #188 on: August 01, 2024, 12:31:54 PM »
I'll check those out too, but I found and installed another one via 'llamafile' which can run Llava.  On one image that I tried, it was fairly impressive, but on another, the caption was good but the keywords did not include anything that it had listed in the caption text.

These are kind of fun, but there's no way we could include them in the application.  For one, they're too large (somewhere over 4GB for the one I used), and two, they could virtually say anything, including things that are offensive and Camera Bits would be responsible.

We could offer an integration with the user's install (running a local server) and then the user would be responsible for vetting the model that they're using and its output.

-Kirk

Offline jrp

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 02, 2024, 09:52:39 AM »
At present, the models are improving at an almost incredible rate. The likes of apple will want to run applications of these models on phones, never mind laptops. As you will be aware, the next release of MacOS will provide new AI-based services, running what can be run on local device and offloading more complex things to the apple cloud.  I know that you prefer to roll your own stuff, but you could provide hooks, or whatever.

As well as fiddling around with llava I use google’s image annotation api. It’s very capable (doing OCR, too) but the keywords that it produces don’t distinguish between the main subject and other incidental features (sky, car, …).

Thing about this key wording / captioning capability is that it’s redundant if the platform hosting your pictures can do all the image recognition itself…. What will be needed is the ability to be very specific about the contents of the picture (name of the player, location, etc).

Anyway, it might be wise the keep to the meat and potatoes capabilities of the current program, while testing out some more experimental features, to avoid obsolescence.

Offline Anton Largiader

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 14, 2024, 03:30:11 PM »
If the ability to write metadata into .CR3 files ever happens (which seems unlikely), I might be tempted to upgrade. Or, I suppose, if I ever switch over to Adobe, in which case the sidecar files won't be a problem. As it is, though, I'm pretty happy with the paid version I'm "stuck" with.