Author Topic: Custom sort without using drag & drop?  (Read 1098 times)

Offline bobaxe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Custom sort without using drag & drop?
« on: August 08, 2024, 11:40:31 PM »
Sometimes I have few thousand images in 1 folder, and drag & drop is going to take forever for the scrollbar to go up. Is there any alternative method so I can simply cut & paste multiple images in between for the arrangement I want?

On a separate note, how do I easily rename a FOLDER and CREATE a new folder when in gallery mode?

Offline bobaxe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Custom sort without using drag & drop?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2024, 05:45:47 AM »
Keeping this thread alive in search of solutions.

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2024, 03:20:09 PM »
There is no way to move items around in Arrangement mode other than drag and drop.

Screenshots from your previous posts imply that you are on Windows, so as I am generally using a Mac, I made sure to refresh myself on Arrangement mode on the Windows side, and I can see why you are making the request: scrolling by dragging towards the top or bottom of the screen is pretty cumbersome, and its easy to scroll past where you were trying to go and then you have to move your cursor to the opposite edge to go in the other direction. We can certainly look into making improvements for this experience, and the cut/paste idea could be an interesting alternative.

As far as what you can do right now, perhaps you could leverage one of the custom sort methods to group your photos into chunks that might be easier to arrange? (for example, sort by color class and then as you mark the images with a color and refresh with F5, all images of the same color will be group together). Or you can sort by an IPTC field and apply the Metadata Template with the sequence variable in that field so that as you apply the template, the images get re-ordered. Happy to go over any of this stuff in further detail, but would probably be easiest to do on a phone call.

As far as renaming or creating a folder, you can do both of those in the Navigator.  But it really depends on what you are trying to do. For example, if you are trying to move files to a subfolder of the folder they are currently in, there is better ways to do that than via the Navigator.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2024, 03:39:16 PM by ahoward »

Offline bobaxe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2024, 03:47:53 PM »
Ok - if there's no alternative for drag & drop, I wonder if there's any workaround for making the scroll up/down go faster when dragging? Will be crazy if I got to wait 1 minute to scroll through 1000s of images...