Author Topic: Intermittent folder copying in PM 4.6.7 beta/Mac OS 10.6.5  (Read 2730 times)

Offline langier

• Newcomer
  • Larry Angier ©Carolyn Fox
    • View Profile
    • Image West Photography-Larry Angier & Carolyn Fox
Intermittent folder copying in PM 4.6.7 beta/Mac OS 10.6.5
« on: January 04, 2011, 07:59:53 PM »
Hi Kirk,

As always, Photo Mechanic is simply the best for ingesting and editing and I can't live without it! Thanks!

I'm trying the new version 4.6.7 since I have a new P&S Lumix LX-5 and it's aware of the raw files and sidecars...

As I drag the file folder over to the icon of PM on my desktop, it sometimes will make a copy of the entire folder before it opens it, thus killing time and adding to file clutter. It doesn't happen every time and with every folder. The last time, I dragged about 8 folders to the PM icon and four opened immediately; the rest started to dupe themselves before I cancelled the copying from the desktop and then they opened with from the copies.

Not sure if this is a problem with the 4.5.7 beta, because of dragging to the icon of PM on the desktop or what. It seems to just do it with the Beta and desktop, not with my older version on my Dock (4.5.4). It seems to do this with both files from my Panasonic LX-5 (rw2) and my Nikon raw (nef) files, though mostly with the folders with the rw2 files, and nothing created before about Sept. or October.

When I drag a raw file from an open folder to PM 4.6.7, not a problem, only when I drag a folder.

I just put the App in the Dock and no problems dragging several folders to it, but dragging the same folders to the icon on the desktop did copy one of the folders.

Anyway, hope this is an easy fix and helps in making Photo Mechanic that much better!

Regards,

Larry Angier
Jackson, CA

--
Larry Angier
Image West Photography
www.angier-fox.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Intermittent folder copying in PM 4.6.7 beta/Mac OS 10.6.5
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 09:11:07 PM »
Larry,

As always, Photo Mechanic is simply the best for ingesting and editing and I can't live without it! Thanks!

I'm trying the new version 4.6.7 since I have a new P&S Lumix LX-5 and it's aware of the raw files and sidecars...

As I drag the file folder over to the icon of PM on my desktop, it sometimes will make a copy of the entire folder before it opens it, thus killing time and adding to file clutter. It doesn't happen every time and with every folder. The last time, I dragged about 8 folders to the PM icon and four opened immediately; the rest started to dupe themselves before I cancelled the copying from the desktop and then they opened with from the copies.

Not sure if this is a problem with the 4.5.7 beta, because of dragging to the icon of PM on the desktop or what. It seems to just do it with the Beta and desktop, not with my older version on my Dock (4.5.4). It seems to do this with both files from my Panasonic LX-5 (rw2) and my Nikon raw (nef) files, though mostly with the folders with the rw2 files, and nothing created before about Sept. or October.

When I drag a raw file from an open folder to PM 4.6.7, not a problem, only when I drag a folder.

I just put the App in the Dock and no problems dragging several folders to it, but dragging the same folders to the icon on the desktop did copy one of the folders.

Try restarting your system.  PM has no code in it that responds to a drop on the application icon in the dock by copying a folder.  The Finder is probably doing this.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline langier

• Newcomer
  • Larry Angier ©Carolyn Fox
    • View Profile
    • Image West Photography-Larry Angier & Carolyn Fox
Re: Intermittent folder copying in PM 4.6.7 beta/Mac OS 10.6.5
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 11:26:51 AM »
Hi Kirk,

The folder copying continues weather from my local disk or external drive and restarting doesn't seem to change things.

However, since I'm running the Beta on my desktop to keep it segregated from my regular copy.

It seems to work better from within the dock.

I'm guessing that you are right regarding something in the finder. Perhaps the folder-copy problem is related to dragging items to the desktop and is an Apple "undocumented feature". Keeping the app in the dock seems to help the problem, but I'm guessing that my method of keeping the Beta away from my regular app isn't mainstream;-)

Anyway, thanks again for keep Photo Mechanic a great program!
--
Larry Angier
Image West Photography
www.angier-fox.com