Author Topic: Preview 'info' pane: limited data for jpg  (Read 2531 times)

Offline gdpaige

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Preview 'info' pane: limited data for jpg
« on: January 12, 2013, 04:00:53 AM »
The info pane within the preview looses information when writing jpgs from raw NEF files, including items like lenstype and similarly useful elements. There was an earlier notification about this:
http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=6604.msg30556#msg30556
but no explanation was there.  I enter most of this as EXIF data using stationary pad on ingest, so for most of it I can recover this. However, not all, and I wonder where this problem lies, and is there a way to maintain the data in jpg files?
Gary

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Preview 'info' pane: limited data for jpg
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 08:11:17 AM »
Gary,

The info pane within the preview looses information when writing jpgs from raw NEF files, including items like lenstype and similarly useful elements. There was an earlier notification about this:
http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=6604.msg30556#msg30556
but no explanation was there.  I enter most of this as EXIF data using stationary pad on ingest, so for most of it I can recover this. However, not all, and I wonder where this problem lies, and is there a way to maintain the data in jpg files?

The data you've described isn't EXIF data.  It is MakerNote data which is undocumented (though we can read and handle some of it from reverse engineering) and cannot be rewritten to other file formats.  So when you make a JPEG from a NEF file in Photo Mechanic, the MakerNote is not preserved and thus you don't see that information in your newly created JPEG.

You can certainly tuck away more of the data that PM can show from existing MakerNotes in IPTC/XMP fields if you like.

-Kirk

Offline gdpaige

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Preview 'info' pane: limited data for jpg
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 04:54:21 PM »
Thank you, Kirk. I do in fact store this information in other fields at ingest, just to make sure that the basics are there. I was just curious as to why 'lenstype', for example, fails after saving the image as a jpg.
Cheers
gary