Author Topic: Drop-down Menu Behaviour  (Read 2364 times)

Offline Bob M

• View Profile
    • The McElroys of Point Alexander
Drop-down Menu Behaviour
« on: December 15, 2020, 12:20:01 PM »
PM+ V6 build 5376 on Windows 10

There seems to have been a recent change in the behaviour of various drop-down menus in the Metadata Template and the Metadata Info panel.  I'm not sure how many of the drop-down menus this comment applies to, but several.  I will describe the City field. 

In my case, when i click on the drop-down menu down arrow for the City field, I am presented with Add (or Remove) City, Edit Cities, a line and then 2 choices, both with submenu indicators.  (I assume that if I had more saved cities, then I would have more than 2 choices).  If I choose the first choice, then I get a submenu which consists of several of my recent choices for this field, a blank line and then the start of an alphabetical list of saved cities.  The problem arises in that the name of the parent menu is "The most recent chosen city - last alphabetical city on that submenu".  In my case, I could be presented with "Whitewater Region - Pembroke" as my first choice of submenu.  It is pretty counter intuitive that that is the correct submenu to choose when I am looking for "Chalk River".  In my view the submenus should be labeled only according to the saved cities.  Or perhaps better would be to present the recent choices as a separate submenu.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Drop-down Menu Behaviour
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 12:30:25 PM »
Bob,

PM+ V6 build 5376 on Windows 10

There seems to have been a recent change in the behaviour of various drop-down menus in the Metadata Template and the Metadata Info panel.  I'm not sure how many of the drop-down menus this comment applies to, but several.  I will describe the City field. 

In my case, when i click on the drop-down menu down arrow for the City field, I am presented with Add (or Remove) City, Edit Cities, a line and then 2 choices, both with submenu indicators.  (I assume that if I had more saved cities, then I would have more than 2 choices).  If I choose the first choice, then I get a submenu which consists of several of my recent choices for this field, a blank line and then the start of an alphabetical list of saved cities.  The problem arises in that the name of the parent menu is "The most recent chosen city - last alphabetical city on that submenu".  In my case, I could be presented with "Whitewater Region - Pembroke" as my first choice of submenu.  It is pretty counter intuitive that that is the correct submenu to choose when I am looking for "Chalk River".  In my view the submenus should be labeled only according to the saved cities.  Or perhaps better would be to present the recent choices as a separate submenu.

Could you please take some screenshots and post them here?  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshots.

Thanks,

-Kirk
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 01:04:27 PM by Kirk Baker »

Offline Bob M

• View Profile
    • The McElroys of Point Alexander
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2020, 02:13:20 PM »
OK, this turned out to be more complicated than I realized.

I started up PM and went to generate the screen shot.  Everything behaved properly as it always has; that is, save and edit options and then my list of saved cities.  No submenus with confusing titles.  I thought I was losing my mind.

But after playing around for a while, I realized what must be happening.  PM obviously clears the list of "recents" on exiting and thus it only presents a list of my saved cities.  But if I edit a whole bunch of pictures and choose a different city for each one, which I artificially did in the example below, then the list of "recents" grows and at some stage, the list of "recents" and "saved" breaks into submenus.  That is what my screenshot below shows with an inappropriate title to the first submenu.  (I guess since usually, an editing session usually only involves a single city, I had never triggered this behaiour before.)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2020, 02:14:15 PM »
Thank you, Bob.  A picture is truly worth a thousand words.

I see what the problem is and I'll fix it.

-Kirk