Author Topic: is there a way to keep video thumbnails in pm6 plus?  (Read 1768 times)

Offline mike999

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
is there a way to keep video thumbnails in pm6 plus?
« on: March 06, 2021, 05:25:42 AM »
Have pursuaded the system to produce video thumbnails but they seem to be lost each time rather than retained like the thumbnails of still files. Is this a matter of the database software not being able to handle thumbnails for video files, this seems a bit odd as they are simply thumbnails just like the thumbnails from the stills.

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: is there a way to keep video thumbnails in pm6 plus?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2021, 11:01:24 AM »
Mike,

Have pursuaded the system to produce video thumbnails but they seem to be lost each time rather than retained like the thumbnails of still files. Is this a matter of the database software not being able to handle thumbnails for video files, this seems a bit odd as they are simply thumbnails just like the thumbnails from the stills.

I'm not sure what you mean?  The video thumbnails are all blank?

-Kirk

Offline mike999

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 02:51:23 AM »
I mean that each time I look at a page of video files e.g. .mov or .mp4 then it regenerates the thumbnails for the video files laboriously one after another each time I view a page with video files on. Whereas when viewing a page with .cr2 or .jpg files then the thumbnails come up almost instantly as they are already present in the database??

Why can't you generate the thumbnails for the video files then capture them and store them in the same way as is done for the still files so that they come up more or less instantly rather than taking several minutes to display pages which contain a lot of videos.

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2021, 09:06:44 AM »
I mean that each time I look at a page of video files e.g. .mov or .mp4 then it regenerates the thumbnails for the video files laboriously one after another each time I view a page with video files on. Whereas when viewing a page with .cr2 or .jpg files then the thumbnails come up almost instantly as they are already present in the database??

Why can't you generate the thumbnails for the video files then capture them and store them in the same way as is done for the still files so that they come up more or less instantly rather than taking several minutes to display pages which contain a lot of videos.

The thumbnails for all images/videos are currently re-generated if the source file is directly accessible.  The CR2 and JPEGs are also being loaded from the source image files.

We will be adding additional caching options in the future.

-Kirk