Author Topic: Copy-paste Metadata (IPTC) Snapshot  (Read 1037 times)

Offline Lucuma13

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Copy-paste Metadata (IPTC) Snapshot
« on: April 12, 2023, 09:08:13 AM »
I am running Photo Mechanic version 6.0, build 6784 (409cf99) on macOS Ventura 13.2.1.

I am using PM to add metadata into a large amount of videos (codec ProRes 422 LT). I often find myself in need to copy-paste metadata from one clip to another, which I do with Cmd+Opt+C and Cmd+Opt+V from the main panel (this should trigger Edit > Take / Paste Metadata (IPTC) Snapshot). I normally have the "preview" window open as well, however I make sure the focus it's on the main window and not on the preview window when attempting this action.

My issue is that this shortcut seems to work around 50% of the time for me, not sure why. Common malfunctions are no metadata is pasted at all (most common), no metadata is copied (it will paste metadata taken from the second to last copied clip), wrong metadata is pasted (sometimes it merges the metadata copied from several clips!) or only non-empty fields are pasted (if the destination clip has content on a certain field and the source clip is blank on that field). And since the metadata does not refresh automatically (I use the "Info" panel of the preview window to monitor my input metadata) there's no way to know if either the copy or paste actions have been unsuccessful, which ultimately means I need to click back and forth on a different clip (for the metadata to refresh), and then click again back and forth to reattempt the copy-paste if it was unsuccessful. Can someone advise on whether this is a bug or I am missing something crucially important in the way in which copy-paste works? Also, if there's a better way to know whether copy-paste was successful?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2023, 10:40:25 AM by Lucuma13 »

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Copy-paste Metadata (IPTC) Snapshot
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2023, 11:51:26 AM »
I think it would be best if you contact our support team by email or phone so you can demonstrate the problem via a screen share and we can see if we can find a consistent reason why this is happening for you. I don't know of any other reports of this issue as you've described it, and the issue of "merging" metadata from several snapshots is a particularly strange.

If you'd like to schedule a specific time to talk, send us an email: support@camerabits.com

Otherwise we are available by phone from 9am to 5pm Pacific Time: +1 503.547.2888