Author Topic: Translate in strings  (Read 1421 times)

Offline jesper

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Translate in strings
« on: May 10, 2023, 11:11:58 PM »
Hi,
I'm using the Title/Object Name IPTC field as a base for the folder name and filename, and replacing spaces with _ like this:

{object:0:tr: /_}

Since upgrading to Ventura I'm having problems with Scandinavian characters like å, ä, ö in the folder and file names - Photoshop won't open the files if  there are any non-english characters in the folder/file name.

Can I use the translate function to replace any character that is not A-Z, 0-9 with for example _?

Thanks

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Translate in strings
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2023, 10:34:18 AM »
I think you should get in touch with Adobe to figure out why Photoshop is not opening files that have these characters. I just put those characters in the name of an image, as well as the name of the folder that contains it, and had no trouble at all getting Photoshop to open it. (I tried this on a Mac, I suppose it could be different on Windows).

However, to answer the question that was asked, I don't think that doing a translate is going to take of this for you. As far as I know that function looks for an explicit sequence of characters and replace it with another one. I think you'd want to use the Grep option in Find and Replace. Unfortunately I'm not a RegEx expert so I'm not sure what you'd want to put in your "Find" Field.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2023, 11:08:15 AM by ahoward »

Offline jesper

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2023, 01:39:46 AM »
Thanks, I'll try to get in touch with Adobe.

Find/replace is a good plan B  :)

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2023, 07:59:20 AM »
Actually since you posted this thread I believe I’ve narrowed this down to it being a bug in MacOS 13.3. It seems to be corrected in 13.4, which was released a few days ago.