Author Topic: Searching filename or parts of filename  (Read 1929 times)

Offline Stefan Cherrug

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Searching filename or parts of filename
« on: June 24, 2023, 12:01:11 PM »
I have all information for images in the filename. How to search parts of the filename in PMP?

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Searching filename or parts of filename
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2023, 11:27:25 AM »
Take a look at the "advanced syntax" section of the table in this document: https://docs.camerabits.com/support/solutions/articles/48001077445-photo-mechanic-plus-search

While the example are for the caption field, the syntax should apply to searching for filenames.

Offline Stefan Cherrug

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2023, 11:57:23 AM »
Thank you for the reply!

I had tested these advanced search syntax, but I couldn't find out how to search just a single folder/catalog.

For the moment the problem was solved using Find.

Offline DavidHoffmanuk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2023, 09:15:28 AM »
Take a look at the "advanced syntax" section of the table in this document: https://docs.camerabits.com/support/solutions/articles/48001077445-photo-mechanic-plus-search

While the example are for the caption field, the syntax should apply to searching for filenames.

I don't see a way to find parts of words in a search in that document. I have files named "100608 Viridor MRF 001", "100608 Viridor MRF 002" etc but a search for filename "08 Viri" or filename contains "08 Viri" doesn't find them. Is there a way to do a search of this sort?

David Hoffman

Offline Stefan Cherrug

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2023, 09:24:17 AM »
I found out that I can do it using "Find".

Offline DavidHoffmanuk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2023, 09:32:35 AM »

So you can!
Thanks
David Hoffman

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2023, 11:12:17 AM »

So you can!
Thanks
David Hoffman

'Find' searches a current contact sheet and selects the items that match, it doesn't search your entire catalog.

I don't see a way to find parts of words in a search in that document. I have files named "100608 Viridor MRF 001", "100608 Viridor MRF 002" etc but a search for filename "08 Viri" or filename contains "08 Viri" doesn't find them. Is there a way to do a search of this sort?

Was this before or after the other problem where your search wasn't turning up when searching for part of the file path was fixed?

"Contains" is not syntax that Photo Mechanic Plus search recognizes, as far as I know, and the quotes specify that you only want files where the search matches the entire filename. "100608 Viridor MRF 001" and "100608 Viridor MRF 002" would turn up with the following search:

filename 08 Viri

Offline Stefan Cherrug

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2023, 01:09:41 PM »
I have made my folders, which I used in Adobe Bridge, into catalogs in PMP and with both Find and Search I can search as I want, i.e. search parts of the file name, which is the only thing that matters to me. In addition, I can open a folder/directory with all subdirectories in the same Contact Sheet and use Find or Search.

Offline DavidHoffmanuk

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2023, 12:08:41 AM »

So you can!
Thanks
David Hoffman

'Find' searches a current contact sheet and selects the items that match, it doesn't search your entire catalog.

Was this before or after the other problem where your search wasn't turning up when searching for part of the file path was fixed?

This was while that problem was current.

"Contains" is not syntax that Photo Mechanic Plus search recognizes, as far as I know, and the quotes specify that you only want files where the search matches the entire filename. "100608 Viridor MRF 001" and "100608 Viridor MRF 002" would turn up with the following search:

filename 08 Viri

The search problem resolved after I'd finished rebuilding the 'RAWs' drive and removed the files from drive 'RAWs copy 230612' from the catalog. A search for 'filename 08 Viri' does now find "100608 Viridor MRF 001", "100608 Viridor MRF 002" etc.

David