Author Topic: Standard keywords not visible in PM6+ for newbie  (Read 1473 times)

Offline 30west

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Standard keywords not visible in PM6+ for newbie
« on: July 18, 2023, 10:05:12 AM »
BRAND new to PM6+ (on trial). I desperately want to ditch Adobe subscription primarily to use PM6+ for cataloging etc. I have read everything that I could find on this matter, but maybe it is so simple no one else has ever had the problem. Having PM6+ look at a folder of photos and doing Tools/Update Update IPTC/XMP/Read IPTC/XMP from Raw...there are no keywords showing up in Keywords Panel. The keywords are "flat" and visible in all other applications (Bridge,DxO,on1,GC12) etc.

Am I looking at the wrong panel? This is the fundamental reason to use PM6+ and nothing I have tried gives a list of existing keywords. My raw folders consist of over 15k files and my processed files are nearly double that.

Also, very curious to know if this is actually too late in the cycle to purchase PM6+ when Apple Silicon support / new version was referenced by staff to be expected this fall.

Very appreciating of any help...thanks....gary

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Standard keywords not visible in PM6+ for newbie
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2023, 02:02:13 PM »
I looking at the wrong panel?

That is a possibility. There is a Metadata Template window which is used for applying metadata to a selection of 1 or more images, and there is a metadata Info window which shows the metadata for a specific images. Which one are you opening? The Metadata Info window is opened by clicking the 'i' button when you hover over the image on the Contact Sheet, and that is the one that should be showing you the keywords. If it is not, a sample file that exhibits the problem (and any associated XMP files) would be helpful for looking into the issue.

Offline 30west

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2023, 05:24:30 PM »
YES!. the simple "i" key does reveal the existing keywords. I was trying to see them under the Keyword PANEL (cmd K). It is surprising (I guess) that the feature you list is not indicated under any of the menu items that I can find (maybe just missing it). This is very helpful, but I still need to learn how to apply existing keywords to new photos. that would seem to indicate that I need to get these existing keywords into the template or something so that I can continue assigning them.

Obviously, I need to do a deeper dive into the documentation but this does not seem intuitive and I'd like to get a bit more functional before deciding on a (not inexpensive) purchase of the "plus" license.

Any links to tutorials or discussions specific to my questions would be helpful.

thanks

gary

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2023, 08:52:09 PM »
YES!. the simple "i" key does reveal the existing keywords. I was trying to see them under the Keyword PANEL (cmd K). It is surprising (I guess) that the feature you list is not indicated under any of the menu items that I can find (maybe just missing it). This is very helpful, but I still need to learn how to apply existing keywords to new photos. that would seem to indicate that I need to get these existing keywords into the template or something so that I can continue assigning them.

Obviously, I need to do a deeper dive into the documentation but this does not seem intuitive and I'd like to get a bit more functional before deciding on a (not inexpensive) purchase of the "plus" license.

Any links to tutorials or discussions specific to my questions would be helpful.

thanks

gary

Carl Seibert has 2 great detailed videos: https://www.carlseibert.com/keywording-in-photo-mechanic-part-1/

and here's our document on the topic: https://camerabits.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/48001144666-adding-keyword-metadata-to-photos

Offline 30west

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2023, 12:28:06 PM »
Yes, the carlseibert.com videos are super helpful. Thanks. I may be about 90% of the way to having at least a solid starting point to using the product.