Author Topic: Error when moving files  (Read 1644 times)

Offline Jim S.

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Error when moving files
« on: September 27, 2023, 02:41:32 PM »
6.0 (build 6856, e57a46a) of Photo Mechanic Plus for Windows, Windows 11.

When I go to move files, I get the message "There were error(s) during the copy/move operation."

I looked at the file permissions, and full control is enabled for all users on all files.

The issue seems like it may be related to the XMP file that PhotoMechanic is generating-- I copied the original folder, deleted all the XMP files, and the error doesn't occur.

I went back to the original folder, backed it up, then deleted all the XMP files. The files now move without issue.

Finally, I manually created an XMP file by editing the IPTC info for a single image from the contact sheet and tried to move it, and I got the error again.

Debug log and XMP file that causes the issue attached.

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Error when moving files
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2023, 04:15:51 PM »
The file moved just fine for me when used as a sidecar file for a RAW file I had on my system.

Are you able to move the file using File Explorer?
In the situations where you are able to reproduce the issue by trying to move the file with Photo Mechanic, do you have the same problem if you try to Copy it instead?
Is this problem limited to this specific folder (and its copy) or if you try to move RAW files on other folders or hard drives do you also have the same issue?

Offline Jim S.

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2023, 04:57:43 PM »
I can move the file with no issues in File Explorer. I've actually been forced to do that in order to sort my stuff into subfolders.

A copy with Photo Mechanic throws the same error.

The issue is not specific to this folder. I have had it with multiple folders created to ingest files, and when copying to subfolders or to entirely different folders on other drives.

A couple things to add:

1- On a copy or move, the first file (and the XMP file) will actually get copied, but the error is still thrown. If I'm trying to move/copy multiple files, only the first one goes.

2- A similar issue occurs if I try to upload the file to Dropbox or Smugmug: if the XMP file exists, it won't transmit anything, if the file isn't there, it uploads just fine.

I tried attaching another XMP and the accompanying RAW file, but it's saying that you're out of upload space so they won't go.

But if it wasn't happening for you, could this possibly be a database/cache/something similar corruption issue?

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2023, 05:05:50 PM »
Not sure what the problem is. Probably best if you give us a call tomorrow and we can see what's going on. Our support phone number is:  +1 503.547.2888

Offline Jim S.

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2023, 05:06:53 PM »
Will do.

Offline Jim S.

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2023, 12:11:04 PM »
I think I may have figured this out-- it looks like the camera clock was incorrectly set to 2043. Apparently there's a GPS glitch on the Z9 that's been causing this to happen for some people.

My guess is that PhotoMechanic expects the world to end in 2038, so when it sees 2043, it can't handle it.

I'll have to verify before my next shoot that the camera isn't time travelling, and if it is, turn off the GPS sync.

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2023, 12:34:00 PM »
If you use Photo Mechanic's tool for adjusting the Capture Date/Time, are you then able to move the file?

Could you ZIP a problematic raw and XMP pair and send it to us?