Author Topic: issue with accents when exporting to FlickR  (Read 1437 times)

Offline guill69f

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
issue with accents when exporting to FlickR
« on: October 05, 2023, 12:57:43 PM »
Hi everyone,

something annoying i have been living with for some time but that I have on my list of things to solve in 2023: accents on French words  :)
I have seen other users have left posts on this forum but I have not really understood how to get the thing solved.

so the issue: when i have a word with the letter "é" (just as example here, but the problem is the same for all accented letters) in an ITPC field like the headline for instance, once exported to FlickR, it becomes a "Ž" on their platform.

I have been inspired by other posts and went to the Photo Mechanic preferences, try to change the default ITPC Encoding Value from "Mac Roman" to "MicrosoftLatin1+Euro" first and then "Latin 1 Western European", but in my case it has not solved anything (i restarted PM each time after i changed the preferences).

So how can i fix this?

thanks

Offline MNeipris

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: issue with accents when exporting to FlickR
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2023, 02:06:42 PM »
You can try encoding IPTC metadata as Unicode(UTF-8), assuming Flickr supports it.

To do, select the "Write IPTC as Unicode" checkbox in Preferences-->IPTC/XMP, then select the OK button to save the changes.

You can also try deselecting the "Add embedded IPTC(XMP will always be written)" checkbox in the "For JPEG, TIFF, PSD, DNG photos" section to see if Flickr will read from XMP metadata, which is UTF-8.

Offline guill69f

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2023, 10:14:27 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.
I have now attached IPTC/XMP settings.
The strange thing is that i was doing all my tests yesterday on a picture taken with a Samsung Phone, and it failed each time (and no success either this morning after i tried the suggested changes)
But i picked now the next picture, taken with a Fuji X-T2, and there the letters with the accents are correctly displayed in FlickR. Since the majority of the pictures are taken with this camera, i can manually correct the letters on the other pictures, but annoying to not know what is the reason for this.
Thanks anyway

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2023, 08:24:56 AM »
What format are the files that the phone generates? JPEG? HEIC?

Offline guill69f

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2023, 09:47:54 AM »
Jpeg

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2023, 10:57:49 AM »
Jpeg
Thanks. I think we have narrowed down the issue and I'll make sure it gets into our bug tracking system.

Offline guill69f

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2023, 11:08:37 AM »
you mean this is not a user issue? my self esteem likes this ;-)

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2023, 02:54:50 PM »
you mean this is not a user issue? my self esteem likes this ;-)

Are you still experiencing this issue? Our developer was looking into the bug report I created and couldn't reproduce the problem, and I tested with the file I had reproduced the issue with and could no longer reproduce it either. We're not really sure what changed but perhaps I left out a detail in my bug report that was important to recreating the problem, so if the issue is still happening for you with the Samsun files, please let us know.