Author Topic: XMP files and subfolders  (Read 1567 times)

Offline stevemoorevale

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
XMP files and subfolders
« on: January 12, 2024, 05:18:10 AM »
Hi.

I’m a new user of photo mechanic plus but I have used version 5 and 6 before. I’ve noticed that when I open a folder in the catalogue (inside the browse-file path tab)  it shows the contents of the root folder I’ve clicked on plus the contents of any subfolder. To be precise, I have the finished tiff files in the root folder and then I have a folder called raws which I put my raw files into but when I open the main folder all the raws from the subfolder show in there too. Is there any setting to sort this?
The other thing is that the contact sheet is showing all the XMP files that are in the folder on the disk and it’s rather annoying. Is there any way of hiding these in the contact sheet?

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2024, 05:50:36 AM by stevemoorevale »

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
Re: XMP files and subfolders
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2024, 10:06:14 AM »
Making a selection in the Browse tab will always show the catalog items that are in that folder and and of its subfolders. There is currently no setting to change this specific behavior, but making use of a Filter, rather than using Browse sounds like it might show you the files you are trying to see. I made a screen recording because with all the dropdown menus involved, it's a bit difficult to explain in a post. But once you set up the filter, click the little "flashbulb" icon and choose 'Save Snapshot' so that you can easily retrieve this filter set up later on.

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2024, 10:23:36 AM »
With regards to the XMP files: Yes, there is a way of hiding them (view->disable 'Show Unknown files as proxies'), but I would recommend looking into why those XMP files exist. Generally, an XMP file will be paired up with a RAW file by matching up the two files with the same base filename, and when this happens, Photo Mechanic knows not to show it on the Contact Sheet (regardess of what 'Show unknown files as proxies' is set to). But if there is no RAW file in the folder to pair up that XMP file with, then Photo Mechanic will consider it an "unknown file" and show the placeholder proxy that you are seeing. Generally the reasons for seeing these files on the Contact Sheet are: RAW files were removed from the folder without moving their accompanying XMP file, or some other software created XMP files for non-RAW files.

Offline stevemoorevale

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2024, 11:08:32 AM »
Many thanks for your answers. The filter idea does seem to be the best way and as you say if I use the snapshot feature I can make the job of showing what I want much quicker.

With regard to the XMP files, plus I’ve seen some in there have the extension .acr as well, should these move with the associated file if I were to drag and drop them.  Once I have edited a raw file I drag it from the root folder it resides in into the RAWS sub folder and I believe in Lightroom this action moves both the raw and its associated sidecar file together. Does PM+ behave the same way or do I have to physically move those XMP files myself if I move their parent raws? I will turn my pc on and have a play with this idea in the meantime.

Thanks.

Offline MNeipris

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2024, 12:26:49 PM »
XMP sidecar files will move with their associated RAW files.

You can have Photo Mechanic associate the .ACR sidecar files with their RAW files by navigating to Preferences-->Files.

Select the "Edit" button to the right of "Manage File Associations:".

In the Associated File Types window, select the checkbox to the right of "ACR - Adobe Camera RAW".

Select the OK button.

Select the OK button in the Files Preferences window.

Finally, restart Photo Mechanic for the changes to occur.

The .ACR sidecar files will now be renamed or moved alongside the associated RAW files.