Author Topic: previews  (Read 1170 times)

Offline stevemoorevale

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
previews
« on: April 21, 2024, 02:58:58 AM »
Sorry for another question.
I was under the impression that like Lightroom, the PM catalog stores image previews/proxies for all photos in the catalog meaning if i were to open a large contact sheet, lets say a search that has returned 200 results everything would appear almost instantly. I often find that the thumbnails take a while to load and then if i open a photo the large preview is all blurry/out of focus for a good 10-15 seconds before then loading correctly (i notice the histogram updates and then the image loads properly). The catalog and all of it associated files are stored on an M.2 NVME SSD running at well over 3000mb/s. No speed issues with that beast.  I tried looking at Catalog settings and proxy generation but it appears that is just related to offline files. Do i need to sync the catalog again?

As a side note i should add that whilst the catalog file is on the fast drive, the photos referenced are on traditional spinning disks which are part of a windows storage space disk pool using a raid 1 mirroring setup.

_____update_______
I did a full catalog sync and it removed a lot of files and added some more but after it finished i now have Catalog Image Preview Generation in the tasks pane and it states it has 537 batches remaining.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2024, 03:51:54 AM by stevemoorevale »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: previews
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2024, 09:15:35 AM »
Steeve,

Sorry for another question.
I was under the impression that like Lightroom, the PM catalog stores image previews/proxies for all photos in the catalog meaning if i were to open a large contact sheet, lets say a search that has returned 200 results everything would appear almost instantly. I often find that the thumbnails take a while to load and then if i open a photo the large preview is all blurry/out of focus for a good 10-15 seconds before then loading correctly (i notice the histogram updates and then the image loads properly). The catalog and all of it associated files are stored on an M.2 NVME SSD running at well over 3000mb/s. No speed issues with that beast.  I tried looking at Catalog settings and proxy generation but it appears that is just related to offline files. Do i need to sync the catalog again?

As a side note i should add that whilst the catalog file is on the fast drive, the photos referenced are on traditional spinning disks which are part of a windows storage space disk pool using a raid 1 mirroring setup.

_____update_______
I did a full catalog sync and it removed a lot of files and added some more but after it finished i now have Catalog Image Preview Generation in the tasks pane and it states it has 537 batches remaining.

Proxies are only used when the original file is unavailable (deleted/renamed/disk offline).  If the file is available, it is loaded/rendered directly.

-Kirk

Offline stevemoorevale

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2024, 10:50:42 AM »
Thanks Kirk. Any tips for maximising the direct render time? Is it using the GPU?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2024, 05:47:33 PM »
Steve,

Thanks Kirk. Any tips for maximising the direct render time? Is it using the GPU?

Rendering speed is dictated by the speed of the drive where the images are stored.

-Kirk