Author Topic: PM7 / Planned features road map  (Read 5360 times)

Offline jgrove

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: PM7 / Planned features road map
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2024, 10:21:34 PM »
It's a real shame, the silence on any development or road map has left me becoming increasingly less reliant on PM +. It's now the only none native software I have on my Mac.

Alas as I cannot see me upgrading/subscribing if and when a new version comes out.

PM paved the way for browsing files, meta data tagging, FTP and a host of other features that made it the go to product. But it's now been removed from my computers as I have found other software that I already subscribe to or own that can do the same job.

Thank you for years of robust captioning that saved me hours of work.

Regards

Offline 30west

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2024, 08:07:19 AM »
I will (almost) gladly pay for an upgrade to v7+ when it is finally (after 4 years or more ) compiled for Apple Silicon. Eventually macOS will no longer include Rosetta 2 to keep the Intel version functional.

I am a recent convert to PM6+ and am amazed at its capability, but a subscription pricing model that costs more that the Adobe Photo package (PS and LrC) will drive a lot of customers back to that. As a non professional retiree, paying subscription fees to keep only occasionally used applications working is like water torture and an incentive to struggle to use less capable alternatives such as xnViewMP.

Offline elementalpress

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2024, 12:42:38 PM »
PM paved the way for browsing files, meta data tagging, FTP and a host of other features that made it the go to product. But it's now been removed from my computers as I have found other software that

What software did you found?

Offline leitner

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2024, 01:43:25 PM »
I am a recent convert to PM6+ and am amazed at its capability, but a subscription pricing model that costs more that the Adobe Photo package (PS and LrC) will drive a lot of customers back to that. As a non professional retiree, paying subscription fees to keep only occasionally used applications working is like water torture and an incentive to struggle to use less capable alternatives such as xnViewMP.

I suspect this is Camera Bits' big dilemma -- there's a commercial user base which is less price sensitive, uses the product frequently, and requires less support due to their high use/familiarity, and a hobbyist user base which is more price sensitive, uses the product less frequently, and requires more support on average.

If they thread the pricing just right, they can keep most commercial customers while jettisoning most hobbyist customers, which may minimize support costs and maximize profit, even with fewer total licenses.

Pure speculation on my part, but this makes their moves make sense to me.

Offline vale

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2024, 06:41:04 AM »
yeah, but in this case, there is a problem: how can new photographers be attracted to this software if the entry price is so high? Everyone is comparing it with Lightroom+Photoshop bundle, which (depending on country) can be a very tempting 'buy it now' thing, considering that it also comes with 20gb of cloud space.
probably the true aspects of their decision will come to surface when a new (hopefully much improved) version will arrive to market. at that point, those who will buy the new version will be the core users, those who bring the base revenue. everthing else (if expenses are covered by those) is a bonus.
For the moment, there is no reason to go for the subscription, let's wait some months to see what future unfolds (considering that the last announcement was 2 months ago)

Offline Max Lemesh

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2024, 10:55:17 AM »
Were there any major updates, feature or anything in the Subscription PM so far?