Author Topic: Problem with accents in Spanish  (Read 2477 times)

Offline mago

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Problem with accents in Spanish
« on: May 10, 2024, 02:50:52 AM »
Hello:

I have a problem with accents in keywords, I write them correctly (in Spanish) and then Capture One puts strange symbols in the words, instead of accents, it puts strange symbols. I assume it will be the type of IPTC Encoding, it currently says Mac Roman, and "Write as Unicode" is not selected. I never touched anything in those preferences, but I've been having problems for a few weeks now. How could I solve it?

For example: Fósil / F-sil, and other even stranger things

Thank's

Offline mago

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with accents in Spanish
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2024, 10:13:05 AM »
I also have problems with the letter ñ.

Some answer?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2024, 02:22:10 PM »
If you don't need to embed legacy IPTC data in your images, then don't embed IPTC.  PM still supports that metadata format, but it is essentially obsolete.  XMP has been the new standard for more than a decade.  XMP is already Unicode and can handle any accented characters you can enter.  If you must embed legacy IPTC, be sure to write it as Unicode.

If you want to update the embedded IPTC as Unicode, after making the settings change to write IPTC as Unicode, you can apply a Metadata Template to the images that simply clears an unused field and when the embedded IPTC metadata is updated, it will be written as Unicode.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline mago

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2024, 04:37:55 AM »
Hi Kirk:

I have been using xmp for many years, and not embedded. I've had this problem for a few weeks, before it worked fine and I had no problems. I will have to do tests and investigate to see if I can find the solution.

Thanks

Offline mago

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2024, 04:41:03 AM »
....but Lightroom embeds the metadata in tiff and jpg

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2024, 09:33:16 AM »
Please post a screen shot of your IPTC/XMP settings in Photo Mechanic.  I'm not asking you to embed XMP.  It is the antiquated binary IPTC metadata that has poor support for non-ASCII characters that I'm asking you to not embed.  If you'll post your settings, I'll indicate specifically what settings you should change.

Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline mago

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2024, 08:54:48 AM »
I have selected the Capture One (lightning) settings. But it does the same thing in Lightroom, I have something wrongly selected, or after an update, because it didn't happen before.

Thank you very much for your help Kirk.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2024, 01:53:28 PM »
Uncheck the "Add embedded IPTC (XMP will always be written)" checkbox.  Then any future images you caption will no longer have the obsolete and poorly supported embedded IPTC.  Everything that legacy IPTC data could do can be done in XMP and XMP is always Unicode.

Try captioning a new image and then check it in C1.  If the problem is fixed, the embedded IPTC can be removed from your other images.  You can select your images and choose "Delete Metadata" from the Tools menu and then check only the "IPTC" checkbox.  Then click the OK button to process the selected images.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline mago

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2024, 10:49:59 AM »
Hi Kirk:

I did the delete metadata test, I loaded the metadata again in C1 but it remains the same, however in LR it did change. The problem is that C1 has already incorporated them into xmp (because I save the metadata in xmp in C1) and they always appear, every time I start C1, some new word with an error appears. I will have to be patient and delete as they appear.

I did two tests with a new photo and in principle there is no error.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2024, 11:05:27 AM »
Hi Kirk:

I did the delete metadata test, I loaded the metadata again in C1 but it remains the same, however in LR it did change. The problem is that C1 has already incorporated them into xmp (because I save the metadata in xmp in C1) and they always appear, every time I start C1, some new word with an error appears. I will have to be patient and delete as they appear.

If you were to remove the photos from the C1 database and add them back in again, would the problem persist in C1?

-Kirk

Offline PeterM

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2024, 10:58:01 PM »
So, in general, the 'Add embedded IPTC (XMP will always be written)' should be unchecked?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2024, 12:48:51 PM »
Peter,

So, in general, the 'Add embedded IPTC (XMP will always be written)' should be unchecked?

Yes.  You would only want to turn it on if you were working with some very old software.

-Kirk

Offline mago

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2024, 11:26:50 AM »
Ok, Thanks

Offline mago

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2024, 11:30:18 AM »
Hi Kirk:

If you were to remove the photos from the C1 database and add them back in again, would the problem persist in C1?

-Kirk

No, I have been changing the incorrect data that was written in the xmp through C1 (I save xmp), but I already did it, so far without problems