Author Topic: Opening the IPTC template or Preview window causing 20-30 second hangs  (Read 968 times)

Offline Sammorgan02

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
I'm on windows 11 home, 128 GB of ram, RTX 4090, recently cleared all of the caches.  Every time I open the IPTC template PM is hanging for 20-30 seconds.  BUT SOMETIMES IT DOESN'T - it will open instantly - maybe 20% of the time.

This happens almost all the time after performing a file system manipulation (like deleting or moving a file from within photomechanic), but now it's happening even after not manipulating files.  It's also hanging on opening a preview window.  The window and image will open instantly but it will be 20-30 seconds before I can scroll left or right to a different photo.  In preferences I have the 3 preview related boxes all checked off (make current preview visible in contact sheet, sync single selection, rescan contact sheet).  PM is acting like it's rescanning the contact sheet every time I open an IPTC template or preview window.  The CPU AND GPU will both run at about 15% while PM is hanging and non responsive.

The duration of the hang lessens as I hide images in the gallery.  Once I update IPTC info on some images I hide them by setting them to color class red and hitting refresh (with red hidden).  The more I hide, the shorter the duration of the hang.  It is not uncommon for me to have galleries of 20,000 - 30,000 images.

I've been using the same workflow for ~ 6 years and this hanging has started popping up in the last 6 months or so and has been getting worse.  I'm on the latest version of PM 6 (not PM plus).  The files are on a fast 2 TB M.2 drive and the cache is on an 8 GB Sata SSD.  Neither drive is more than 75% full.

Build 6890.  Oddly enough, it hung when opening the window for build info.

Again the hanging FEELS LIKE PM is doing something to every non-hidden image in the contact sheet on certain operations, but I have as many settings off as possible that have to do with background contact sheet stuff.  I should also note this exact same issue started happening on my laptop around the same time.  I don't use PM on my laptop nearly as much so I don't have as much info about it.  I just noticed it popped up on my desktop and laptop after the same event I photographed.  My desktop and laptop are not on the same build number currently.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2024, 09:04:19 AM by Sammorgan02 »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
For a problem like this, I suggest contacting our support folks at:

By email: support@camerabits.com

By phone: +1 503.547.2888

Hours: Mon-Fri, 9:00am-5:00pm [PST/PDT]