Author Topic: Image not showing in PM6 after being dragged in from Trash  (Read 3963 times)

Offline rcohn

• View Profile
Image not showing in PM6 after being dragged in from Trash
« on: September 01, 2024, 07:56:20 AM »
I solved the problem, but I'm reporting this in case there is something that can be done in the program to prevent this, or others ever have the same problem and find this.

I make mistakes and after deleting a file by mistake I did what I usually do: Go to the Trash and drag the Raw file and the sidecar file back over the PM thumbnails. This has always brought files back and been seen by PM. This time the file disappeared. Thinking it ended up somewhere else I did a Finder search and it said it was in the correct folder. I did a PM search and it was not seen. I checked the Finder and the file is indeed there. Also visible in CaptureOne. I tried both Refresh and Rescan with no change.

After restarting PM the image returned. Maybe that is what I should have done to begin with? Not sure if doing a Refresh and a Rescan made any difference.

Photo Mechanic Version 6.0, build 7212 (90865b3)
Mac Sonoma 14.6.1
M1 Macbook Pro

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Image not showing in PM6 after being dragged in from Trash
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2024, 11:20:00 AM »
When you dragged and dropped from the Trash, in what application did you drop the files?  Photo Mechanic?  The Finder?
Do you have PM set to Rescan on Resume?
Only Rescan will find new files, or realize that files have been removed or renamed.  Refresh only reapplies your filters and sort method.

Could you have had a filter (5-star, Tag, or Color Class filter) active that would have filtered out the restored images when you did your Rescan?

-Kirk

Offline rcohn

• View Profile
Re: Image not showing in PM6 after being dragged in from Trash
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2024, 01:57:30 PM »
Hi Kirk, thanks for your reply. I did what I usually do: open the Trash folder and drag the raw file + sidecar onto the PM contact sheet. It (almost) always appears immediately which means I have the settings that normally work. I don't think this is different from moving or duplicating images between folders using PM contact sheets (which automatically moves the sidecar files with the image files).

I do not believe there were any filters. As I said, restarting PM fixed the issue, and doing a Rescan and Refresh did not fix it, although I can't be sure that doing this in combo before a restart made a difference (I doubt it). I have had the experience where I drag over a file and the Sort setting changes from Filename or CaptureTime to "Arrangement". In that case I have to change it back to bring the files back in order. I checked for this in my trouble shooting.

It has not happened again since this one time. As I said, assuming this is not something that becomes recurrent, I just wanted to leave a solution if it happens to someone else.