Author Topic: Data Mining  (Read 114 times)

Offline DBOILY

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Data Mining
« on: October 02, 2024, 08:13:55 AM »
Hello, the new IPTC field "Data Mining" is quite intriguing. Unfortunately my version of PM does not support this new IPTC field. So I'm wondering, what is the default value in this field if left blank? I assume it will be "Unspecified", but does this mean Data mining will be possible or not?  What about all the pictures that came before the implementation of the Data Mining field? Is data mining automatically allowed?
Thanks.

P.S.: I'm clearly not proficient on this topic, so sorry if my question is way off.

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Data Mining
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2024, 10:20:52 AM »
does this mean Data mining will be possible or not?

First, just to clarify, the Data Mining field does not enforce anything, whether it is in your images or not. It is entirely reliant on the application performing the data mining.  The software using the training model would have to be designed to A) pay attention to whether this field exists, and B) what is set to.

There is no default value for the Data Mining field. If Photo Mechanic didn't add it, and no other software added it, it won't exist in your file. If some other software added it, and your version of Photo Mechanic doesn't support that field, it should leave the field as it is when you use Photo Mechanic to update the metadata of a file.

Offline DBOILY

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Data Mining
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2024, 10:43:02 AM »
Ok, thanks for clearing that up.