Author Topic: Updating Metadata into Scanned Film Images (Nikon F6 and MV-1)  (Read 143 times)

Offline sep297

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Updating Metadata into Scanned Film Images (Nikon F6 and MV-1)
« on: September 29, 2024, 10:09:07 AM »
Hi,
I am relatively new to Photo Mechanic but have found it to be a great time saver so far, allowing me to tidy up Metadata etc.

I have been scanning a lot of negatives recently using Negative Lab Pro, so I am looking for a way of easily changing the Camera Metadata back to the original camera etc updating the original file metadata. I want to do this if possible via a simple Excel file of the new data.

I also have a Nikon F6 so I can extract this data from the camera given the right tools in CSV format, making the Excel method attractive.

I have managed to find similar issues and fixes on youtube videos etc, although most of the links to example files no longer work. Are there any example files available for something similar to help me get my head around the syntax?

Many Thanks in Advance

Stuart

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Updating Metadata into Scanned Film Images (Nikon F6 and MV-1)
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2024, 02:02:14 PM »
Stuart,

What EXIF fields are you wanting to edit?  PM doesn't allow direct editing of EXIF fields for the most part.  It does modify some tags (Capture Time, Orientation, etc.)

You may want to use something like ExifTool to do this task.

-Kirk

Offline sep297

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Updating Metadata into Scanned Film Images (Nikon F6 and MV-1)
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2024, 09:53:50 AM »
Thanks Kirk,

I was mainly looking if possible to replace the scanning camera data with the actual data from the shoot, so will look into exiftool.

Regards

Stuart