Author Topic: Sony IPTCMetadataPreset app and "BaseName" IPTC field  (Read 101 times)

Offline Ben Curtis

• View Profile
    • Snappertalk blog
Sony IPTCMetadataPreset app and "BaseName" IPTC field
« on: October 02, 2024, 10:25:34 PM »
With Sony cameras e.g. A1, you can import/register IPTC captions from laptop into the camera using the Sony Tool "IPTCMetadataPreset". This appears to just copy a caption XMP file into a certain folder on the SD card, which the camera then imports from.
However this XMP file also contains a kind of display name for each XMP file that then becomes visible in the camera menu when you choose which file you want to import.
Looking at the XMP file, this display name appears to be embedded into the IPTC using this piece of metadata:

sonyiptc:BaseName="YOURDISPLAYNAMEHERE">

I also see this up at the top in the XML file (though that link seems dead):
xmlns:sonyiptc="http://xmlns.sony.net/pro/iptc"

I'm curious if PM could be used to do this process instead, by exporting various XMP files to the particular folder on the SD card. However to do that PM would have to be able to write this "BaseName" metadata field into the XMP file.

Is there some way for me to add this IPTC field as some kind of custom field in PM's "Metadata (IPTC) Info Panel"?

Thanks

(PS - I'm using PM Enterprise version if that is relevant)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Sony IPTCMetadataPreset app and "BaseName" IPTC field
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2024, 12:29:39 PM »
Ben,

With Sony cameras e.g. A1, you can import/register IPTC captions from laptop into the camera using the Sony Tool "IPTCMetadataPreset". This appears to just copy a caption XMP file into a certain folder on the SD card, which the camera then imports from.
However this XMP file also contains a kind of display name for each XMP file that then becomes visible in the camera menu when you choose which file you want to import.
Looking at the XMP file, this display name appears to be embedded into the IPTC using this piece of metadata:

sonyiptc:BaseName="YOURDISPLAYNAMEHERE">

I also see this up at the top in the XML file (though that link seems dead):
xmlns:sonyiptc="http://xmlns.sony.net/pro/iptc"

It's not an actual link that is expected to work.  It is a string that represents the 'sonyiptc' XML namespace.

I'm curious if PM could be used to do this process instead, by exporting various XMP files to the particular folder on the SD card. However to do that PM would have to be able to write this "BaseName" metadata field into the XMP file.

Is there some way for me to add this IPTC field as some kind of custom field in PM's "Metadata (IPTC) Info Panel"?

No, but you could simply edit the file with any text editor and put the value between the opening and closing tags as you see fit.  Just make sure that if you're using any non-ASCII characters (characters with accents, other language characters) that your text editor can write out the text with UTF-8 encoding.

-Kirk