Author Topic: PM not showing post processed NEFs  (Read 3356 times)

Offline denkea

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM not showing post processed NEFs
« on: March 09, 2010, 07:31:48 AM »
PM 4.6.3  Intel based Mac 10.5.8

In the past when I have processed an NEF and saved it, it automatically showed the adjusted version in the contact sheet. 
Lately the contact sheet shows the original and not the adjusted saved NEF.

I may have inadvertently changed some setting somewhere but for the life of me I can't seem to find out what and in searching I haven't found a cure. 

Please help.  I'd prefer to see the saved version of the NEF instead of the original. 

Thanks in advance

Dennis

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM not showing post processed NEFs
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 08:25:42 AM »
Dennis,

In the past when I have processed an NEF and saved it, it automatically showed the adjusted version in the contact sheet. 

I may have inadvertently changed some setting somewhere but for the life of me I can't seem to find out what and in searching I haven't found a cure. 

Please help.  I'd prefer to see the saved version of the NEF instead of the original. 

What software are you using to adjust the NEF?  If it is anything but Nikon Capture NX/NX2 or Nikon View then it is likely that the embedded JPEG preview isn't being updated according to your adjustments.

Or if you're using Nikon's software, then you have likely turned on RAW rendering in Photo Mechanic.  You can check the RAW settings in the RAW tab of the Photo Mechanic Preferences dialog, making sure that you've either disabled RAW rendering altogether, or if enabled, you've set it to use embedded JPEG previews for speed.

-Kirk

Offline denkea

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 02:48:57 PM »
Dennis,

What software are you using to adjust the NEF?  If it is anything but Nikon Capture NX/NX2 or Nikon View then it is likely that the embedded JPEG preview isn't being updated according to your adjustments.

Or if you're using Nikon's software, then you have likely turned on RAW rendering in Photo Mechanic.  You can check the RAW settings in the RAW tab of the Photo Mechanic Preferences dialog, making sure that you've either disabled RAW rendering altogether, or if enabled, you've set it to use embedded JPEG previews for speed.

-Kirk

Kirk ~~~~ Thanks for the response.  I'm using Capture NX2 for post processing.  I've tried your suggestions and still can't get the adjusted image to show in the PM contact sheet.  Any other suggestions?  I'm ready to reset all settings to default but would like to know how this can be accomplished. 
TIA

Dennis

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 03:35:48 PM »
Dennis,

Kirk ~~~~ Thanks for the response.  I'm using Capture NX2 for post processing.  I've tried your suggestions and still can't get the adjusted image to show in the PM contact sheet.  Any other suggestions?  I'm ready to reset all settings to default but would like to know how this can be accomplished. 

Did you shoot in RAW+JPEG mode?  If so, by default PM will pair the RAW and JPEG image as a single thumbnail and the JPEG's image data will be used for all viewing.  You can split the pairs apart by deselecting the 'Combined RAW+JPEG' item in the View menu.  You can make that preference permanent by changing that setting in the Contact sheet tab of the Photo Mechanic Preferences dialog.

-Kirk

Offline denkea

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 05:10:42 AM »
Kirk ~~~~Thanks again.  Yes, I have both NEFs and JPEGs in the same folder.  As I have not done that in the past and only had NEFs in a single folder that pretty much explains it.  Thanks again.