Author Topic: Problem with Adjusting Capture Date/Time  (Read 2692 times)

Offline jock

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Jock Fistick / Axis-5 Images
Problem with Adjusting Capture Date/Time
« on: February 08, 2011, 08:51:52 AM »
SYSTEM INFO: OSX 10.6.6 - PM v 4.6.6

This is my workflow:

1) Ingest RAW images with PM and make selects.
2) MOVE the RAW selects to a new folder and then import them into Lightroom.
3) Edit images in Lightroom and export to a new folder as JPGS.
4) Caption and send JPGS with PM.

My PM prefs are set as follows:

Update creation time of photos with capture time during copy or ingest is CHECKED.
Always use today's date in IPTC stationary pad is UNCHECKED.
IPTC info Date and Time uses: CAPTURE TIME.

I have no idea what happened - but as I was captioning my JPG files in PM - I noticed that my CAPTURE DATE was set to todays date (Feb. 8, 2011) but the images were made five days earlier - on Feb. 3, 2011. Maybe a rogue setting in Lightroom / user error.

So, I went into PM to adjust the date - (as a side issue - one thing I noticed is that I had to close the contact sheet and reopen it to see the changes, which is clunky.)

Now I would swear that I only adjusted the date and not the time - but I'll concede to the "user error theory" - and take the blame - but the times of the files were modified as well. So now the files have the correct dates - but not the correct time.

So, I went back to the original RAW files to get the correct times - thinking I would have to change each file individually - and then noticed the UPDATE ITPC/XMP command under the TOOLS menu - with the option of reading from the RAW or the JPG file.

So I thought I would just throw the jpgs in with the raw files and then use the UPDATE ITPC/XMP command to read from the RAW file to update the jpgs - but it's not working - or if it is - PM is not showing the changes even after closing and reopening the contact sheet. And yes, the RAW files have the correct date and time info - but it won't transfer and stick to the jpgs.

So, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

JF

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
Re: Problem with Adjusting Capture Date/Time
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 04:14:22 PM »
JF,
I don't know if this info may help you: I saw that my IPTC Pad has Date checked for Capture Time.

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline jock

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Jock Fistick / Axis-5 Images
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 06:00:47 PM »
Luiz: Thanks but I am already using the same setting.

For lack of a solution, I exported the jpgs from Lightroom again and brought them into PM to caption - and I also needed to tweak a couple of the images in Photoshop. And after editing a couple of the images in PS - I found that the date and time had changed. So, it seems that the DATE and TIME CREATED is being replaced by the DATE and TIME MODIFIED in Photoshop. I am pretty sure this is new behaviour - as to my knowledge I've never had this problem before - but maybe I just didn't notice. At any rate, if anyone knows how to stop this from happening, please let me know. Is it a preference setting in PM or PS that I need to change?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 06:23:14 PM »
Jock,

Luiz: Thanks but I am already using the same setting.

For lack of a solution, I exported the jpgs from Lightroom again and brought them into PM to caption - and I also needed to tweak a couple of the images in Photoshop. And after editing a couple of the images in PS - I found that the date and time had changed. So, it seems that the DATE and TIME CREATED is being replaced by the DATE and TIME MODIFIED in Photoshop. I am pretty sure this is new behaviour - as to my knowledge I've never had this problem before - but maybe I just didn't notice. At any rate, if anyone knows how to stop this from happening, please let me know. Is it a preference setting in PM or PS that I need to change?

One of our QA/Support guys, Bob, has been looking into the issue this afternoon.  We will let you know what we find out.

-Kirk