Author Topic: Open Subfolders without using Navigator  (Read 5273 times)

Offline bddorsey

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Open Subfolders without using Navigator
« on: February 25, 2013, 07:16:18 AM »
I would LOVE it if we could open a folder's 'all subfolders' in a single contact sheet without having to go to Navigator view to do so. 

Would be perfect in the A.)  'Open Contact Sheet' folder selector (i.e. open all subfolders in a new contact sheet)  as well as the in the B.) system context menu of windows explorer. 

Many many thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Open Subfolders without using Navigator
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 07:30:24 AM »
Is there some problem with the Navigator (or Favorites) that causes you to avoid using them?  You would prefer to have to drill down through your folders in a dialog each time? Or use Windows Explorer?  I could see making either open recursively if you held down some keys (Shift, Ctrl, Alt, etc.) when you choose your parent folder.

-Kirk

Offline bddorsey

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 07:29:30 AM »
Yes, the navigator window is almost unusable for me.
I have several NAS and the navigator is constantly going back and trying to refresh causing PMs (not responding) very often (about a 10 second delay).
If i had the option, i would use it but tell it only to refresh when i asked it to.

But the other issue, is that sometimes I'm already in windows explorer doing something and i want to open a folder in PM.  Love the fact that I can open it with the contextual menu, but I can't tell it to open subfolders as well - which is a real pain when you have 5 nested image folders below the main folder).

thanks for listening....

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 07:43:19 AM »
Yes, the navigator window is almost unusable for me.
I have several NAS and the navigator is constantly going back and trying to refresh causing PMs (not responding) very often (about a 10 second delay).
If i had the option, i would use it but tell it only to refresh when i asked it to.

But the other issue, is that sometimes I'm already in windows explorer doing something and i want to open a folder in PM.  Love the fact that I can open it with the contextual menu, but I can't tell it to open subfolders as well - which is a real pain when you have 5 nested image folders below the main folder).

What build of Photo Mechanic 5 are you running?  I removed the automatic refresh code several builds ago, so it should no longer automatically scan folders for updates.

-Kirk

Offline bddorsey

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 07:57:06 AM »
I'm using build 13915 (a16ea99)  i keep it up to date.
Thanks for the help Kirk.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 11:26:15 AM »
I'm using build 13915 (a16ea99)  i keep it up to date.

And you still find it to be unusable?  It no longer auto-refreshes and has had numerous speed improvements made to it.  Are you certain it isn't the Favorites that is slowing you down?  While the Favorites never had auto-refresh, it hasn't had the additional speed improvements made to it that have been made to the Navigator.

Do you have a large list of Favorites?

-Kirk