Author Topic: PM slowdown upon switching back to it (unwanted reread?) w/ network drive accss  (Read 2817 times)

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
Hi,

I have a Synology NAS connected via 1GbE with Ext4 filesystem, accessed from OS X El Capitan over Samba network protocol.

Sometimes, I need to open folders on the NAS using PM (latest). Understandably, there is an initial loading time over the slower ethernet, and then the folder and thumbnails load. However, whenever I switch out from PM and back to it, PM beachballs (unresponsive) for some time (as long as a minute for a 10GB folder with RAWs), seemingly rereading some info from the folder (disk activity LED blinks during the time PM is unresponsive).

I tried turning off all options that could cause automatic refresh of folder contents upon switching back to PM, to no avail. Specifically, I have these turned off jsut to be sure: Automatically rescan when folder contents change, Rescan content when preview window closes. PM Disk cache is set to 4GB max, mem cache to 512MB. System is otherwise 16GB ram quadcore MPro.

System console does say some message about WindowServer forcibly restoring user access to PM UI because it was unresponsive.

To test, I opened an 80GB folder of almost 3000 photos on a local drive, no such slowdowns when switching back to PM and no console messages.

Any idea please?

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
How quick is accessing the same folder in the finder in-between switching? Does that take long too, or is that instantaneous? What happens when you quick look a file?
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline frankweb

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hayo, gonna test that tomorrow. Sure, it might be a NAS issue, the Synology is running a beta of DSM 6 after all, so I am not really sure if it is problem with PM or the NAS, just looking for ideas here how to better debug it.

I am testing the NAS in a nonproduction environment, and installed DSM6 beta because it offers better integration with cloud backup services, and I wanted to test the heck out of the addition to my workflow. Basically I would like to set it up later to only sync over rsync, as a sort of one-way only archive with cloud backup to Amazon, disabling SMB access alltogether, and put it offsite. But that's for another topic in General discussion I guess.

In between switchings even finder access would be slow I think, because the NAS is being read (presumably by PM). I am gonna try to see if there are some more logging options in DSM to see what is actually happening on the NAS side (I guess I can always ssh to the box and run some equivalent of lsof, right? Would that work even on my mac with the NAS mounted over SMB?)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
Thanks, Kirk. I did a search for NAS but somehow missed that thread. Feel free to merge them please. Gonna look at it today. F