Author Topic: Server responded with transient error. 425 Unable to open the data connection  (Read 3647 times)

Offline DavidA

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hello,

I have ran out of ideas how to solve the issue im having with Photo Mechanic, so my last resort will be this forum. I am running Photo Mechanic version 5, build 17338 on Windows 8.1 (x64). Have used PM without any hassle for a few months but am now having troubles uploading files through the built in FTP.

Description what i am trying to do:

1) Select and tag the pictures i want to send
2) Click the upload icon and choose the FTP-server to upload to
3) After about 20-25 seconds into the sending process the file(s) stops with an error message (see provided screenshot)

Now my first guess was that since i recently upgraded from windows 8 to windows 10 that this was the reason for the PM FTP upload not working since it was doing fine before that. BUT after running out of options my last resort was to completely go back to where i knew it worked last time. So im now back with windows 8 again. Unfortunatly this did not help either.

What i have done myself to try and solve the problem:

+ Deactivated windows firewall and my antivirus program completely
+ Updated PM to the latest version available
+ Manually opened all possible ports and granting PM access to everything on the computer/internet
+ Completly re-installed everything on the computer and going back to windows 8
+ Connected to several different types of internet connections on different locations, mobile, wireless and wired
+ Deactivated and activated the computers wifi

Connecting and uploadin through other FTP clients like FileZilla works fine. Problem only occurs in PM. I am not using passive mode while uploading. All other internet functions (browsing, e-mail etc.) works through all the connection types i have tried.

Appreciate any help to sorting this matter. Thank you!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Hello David,

I'd like for you to turn on FTP command logging.  In Photo Mechanic's preferences folder you'll create a text file named PMDebug.txt and enter the following text:

FTP_COMMANDS_AND_RESPONSES_LOGGING ON

The location of the preferences folder is:

C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Roaming\Camera Bits, Inc\Photo Mechanic\

Then quit and start Photo Mechanic again.  Then try and upload some files.  When the error occurs, stop uploading, and choose the "Reveal Support Data..." command on the Help menu.  A Windows Explorer window will come forward with a zip compressed copy of the PM.log file.  Please reply to this message.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped log file.

Once we have the trace of the communication between PM and your FTP server we'll have a better idea on what can be done to solve the problem.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline DavidA

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hi Kirk,

Thank you for a quick reply :)

I have uploaded the log file in this reply.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
David,

I have uploaded the log file in this reply.

Unfortunately there are no FTP commands/responses (besides the errors) in the log file you posted.  Did you get the PMDebug.txt file created in the right place?  If so, did you quit PM and launch it again and then try to send files?

Without the commands and responses, we won't be able to determine what is going on.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline DavidA

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Alright, think i got it this time if you look in the last part of the provided log in this post.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
David,

Alright, think i got it this time if you look in the last part of the provided log in this post.

Thanks.  The information we needed was there this time.

Try changing your connection setting to use a Passive connection.  We expect the problem to be fixed.

If it fails, then post the latest log.  Otherwise, to turn off the logging, you can either set the logging flag to OFF in the text file, or remove the PMDebug.txt file.  Either way you'll have to quit and restart PM.

-Kirk

Offline DavidA

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Keeps trying over and over to connect (according to the log) but after a few minutes just says "done", but without any error message or having uploaded the picture. Providing latest log to you!