Author Topic: .MOV files not being renamed upon ingest  (Read 4181 times)

Offline Cyrano

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
.MOV files not being renamed upon ingest
« on: May 30, 2016, 08:18:50 AM »
Running PM 5.0 build 17338 (df27633) under Win8.1:

I have an Ingest snapshot defined which I've used for months on memory cards from a trail camera. The camera creates .AVI files, which are renamed upon ingest using EXIF date/time information.

I'm attempting to use this Ingest snapshot on a new trail camera which creates .MOV files. With this new camera, the files are not renamed as they should be. Instead, they appear on my computer with the same original file names as on the memory card.

Any ideas on why this is happening, and how I can fix the snapshot so that .MOV files are renamed?

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: .MOV files not being renamed upon ingest
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 11:20:11 AM »
Renaming .mov files should just work, are you sure you have not accidentally turned-off renaming when ingesting? Also what is the renaming string you use?
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Cyrano

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 01:40:42 PM »
@Hayo: I just ran the snapshot against a card of images from the old camera, and all the .AVI files renamed properly.  ??? So the snapshot settings seem OK ... they just don't get applied when I ingest cards containing images from the new camera.

The renaming string is

{yr2}{mn0}{day0}-{timesortlong}-{frame4}

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 03:52:03 PM »
@Hayo: I just ran the snapshot against a card of images from the old camera, and all the .AVI files renamed properly.  ??? So the snapshot settings seem OK ... they just don't get applied when I ingest cards containing images from the new camera.

The renaming string is

{yr2}{mn0}{day0}-{timesortlong}-{frame4}

PM relies on QuickTime for handling of video files and if QuickTime returns an error then PM treats the file as an unknown file and as such renaming won't occur.  MOV is a QuickTime native format, but depending on the codec used to record the video, it may not be handled properly by QuickTime.

You'll have to rename those files manually.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 11:05:57 PM »
@cyrano, I would be interested to see what is special about those videos, can you post (or email me directly) a small 1 second clip (take it with the cap on so it is completely black) so I can have a look?

@kirk, given that QuickTime on Windows has recently been declared obsolete, an alternative must sadly be developed, I guess. I'm sure you have thought of that already :) But if not, perhaps a quick solution would be to link to e.g. exiftool in case of movie files to retrieve the necessary data? Perhaps this could even open up possibilities for retrieving more metadata than that is currently possible (extension to the {variables} like this {exiftool:tag} perhaps?) Anyway, just thinking out loud ;)
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl