Author Topic: PM 5 not showing tags or ratings from NEF+JPG pairs from a Nikon D5?  (Read 2982 times)

Offline ELinder

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Erich Linder Photography
Hi, brand new Photo Mechanic user here, and I'm having trouble with the very first thing I tried. I'm using a Nikon D5 and writing RAW to slot 1 and JPG to slot 2 so that I have a backup in case a card goes bad during an event and to maximize the number of shots between card changes. With the D5 I can now tag files (by locking them) and rate in camera. When I copy all the files to my HD and open the folder in PM, it correctly pairs the RAW and the JPG files for faster culling and further rating, but it does not show my tags or rating that I did in camera.

Is that because only the RAW files are tagged and rated by the camera, not both the raw and jpg? How can I get PM to read the tags from either version of the file and display it when the files are displayed paired? It correctly reads the tags of the raw file if I display each file version separately, but that defeats the time savings I was hoping for when culling in PM.

I'm using Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 17671 (4483a36) on an iMac with OS X Yosemite 10.10.5

Erich

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: PM 5 not showing tags or ratings from NEF+JPG pairs from a Nikon D5?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 07:58:46 AM »
Hmm, I just checked with my D500 and the ratings that Nikon uses are compatible with PM, so that's not it. I also checked if the RAW+JPG pair correctly shows the rating, and that's also the case so why it doesn't work for you I do not understand…

Can you perhaps show a screenshot of the contact sheet with the RAW+JPG pair joined and one with them not joined?
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 08:08:39 AM »
Erich,

Hi, brand new Photo Mechanic user here, and I'm having trouble with the very first thing I tried. I'm using a Nikon D5 and writing RAW to slot 1 and JPG to slot 2 so that I have a backup in case a card goes bad during an event and to maximize the number of shots between card changes. With the D5 I can now tag files (by locking them) and rate in camera. When I copy all the files to my HD and open the folder in PM, it correctly pairs the RAW and the JPG files for faster culling and further rating, but it does not show my tags or rating that I did in camera.

Is that because only the RAW files are tagged and rated by the camera, not both the raw and jpg? How can I get PM to read the tags from either version of the file and display it when the files are displayed paired? It correctly reads the tags of the raw file if I display each file version separately, but that defeats the time savings I was hoping for when culling in PM.

http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php?title=User_Manual_Flat_View#IPTC.2FXMP_Preferences

When viewing photos in RAW+JPEG mode use the metadata from the: This popup menu allows you to choose where the metadata comes from when RAW and JPEG images are paired.

Choose the RAW option.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline ELinder

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Erich Linder Photography
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 08:16:26 AM »
Excellent, that's exactly what I needed. Thanks!

Erich