Author Topic: In camera captioning help  (Read 3691 times)

Offline jamiewiseman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
In camera captioning help
« on: September 11, 2016, 08:26:12 PM »
One of the best thing about Photo Mechanic is it's comprehensive captioning facility.  I click on a picture, apply a caption and it's all sorted.  These days however I don't always use the laptop because my pictures are being sent straight from the camera.  They still need captioning and Photo Mechanic hands down is the best for doing it. Would it be possible to harness the brilliance of Photo Mechanic to help me export the required .NMS files needed by my Nikon to caption pictures in camera please?  It shouldn't be too hard... all they are is a text file with an NMS extension.  My camera only stores ten caption files at any time, but the card can store 100.  Photo Mechanic could export to the camera card very easily ready for us import into the camera, ready to transmit straight from the camera knowing that everything is captioned properly. 
P.S. Please could you look at this too please:  When I send from the camera it is supposed to tag the images so I know which have been sent.  When I bring the card to Photo Mechanic to ingest my cards nothing shows up so when I start reediting or backing up images in Photo Mechanics I've no idea which pictures have been sent already.

Thanks very much.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: In camera captioning help
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 09:46:54 PM »
One of the best thing about Photo Mechanic is it's comprehensive captioning facility.  I click on a picture, apply a caption and it's all sorted.  These days however I don't always use the laptop because my pictures are being sent straight from the camera.  They still need captioning and Photo Mechanic hands down is the best for doing it. Would it be possible to harness the brilliance of Photo Mechanic to help me export the required .NMS files needed by my Nikon to caption pictures in camera please?  It shouldn't be too hard... all they are is a text file with an NMS extension.  My camera only stores ten caption files at any time, but the card can store 100.  Photo Mechanic could export to the camera card very easily ready for us import into the camera, ready to transmit straight from the camera knowing that everything is captioned properly. 

What is the format of these .NMS files?  Do you have an example file you can post here?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline mbbphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 12:42:08 PM »

What is the format of these .NMS files?  Do you have an example file you can post here?

Thanks,

-Kirk
[/quote]

This would be fantastic.
We edit them with a free utility called IPTC Preset Editor
Marc
Marc

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 01:40:29 PM »
Marc,

You could very likely produce this file from the Text module in the Exporter already.  Do you know what the purpose of the number is at the start of each line?  And what is the point of something like this?:

102,dc,title,

Would that produce a blank title?

Whereas this:

101,dc,description,"Photography © Marc Bryan-Brown all rights reserved."

would put "Photography © Marc Bryan-Brown all rights reserved." into the Caption field.

-Kirk