Author Topic: FTP status flags (red-yellow-green)  (Read 2390 times)

Offline fabianlujan

• sports photographer
    • View Profile
FTP status flags (red-yellow-green)
« on: October 11, 2016, 11:02:33 AM »
Hello,

FTP uploading is my daily basis. I like having the red-yellow-green flags on grid-view so I know which one was uploaded succesfully, which one is uploading and which one failed.

The thing is, if I close that folder, when I return, this flags are gone.

Seems like they only reflect the current ftp session.

Is it possible to have that flags permanently or at least it changes state?

What I have to do in order to check if the folder content was uploaded is open an 3rd party FTP app, find the folder and visually compare.

Can we have a way to check that into PM?

Thanks!!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: FTP status flags (red-yellow-green)
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 11:17:31 AM »
Fabian,

FTP uploading is my daily basis. I like having the red-yellow-green flags on grid-view so I know which one was uploaded succesfully, which one is uploading and which one failed.

The thing is, if I close that folder, when I return, this flags are gone.

Seems like they only reflect the current ftp session.

Correct.  The upload status indicators are not stored anywhere permanently.

Is it possible to have that flags permanently or at least it changes state?

We can't think of a method that will always work 100% of the time without modifying the original image and even doing that has its downsides.  If we store the info in a separate database then it breaks when the file is moved or renamed.  If we put the info in the file then we have to be very careful to update the file when no other part of PM is modifying the file.  And if you duplicate the file, the upload data is duplicated in which case one cannot tell which of the two was really sent.

What I have to do in order to check if the folder content was uploaded is open an 3rd party FTP app, find the folder and visually compare.

Can we have a way to check that into PM?

It is unlikely that we'll add an FTP browse feature to Photo Mechanic.  If you want a list of what you sent, you could select the 'green' status images and use the Text Exporter template to write the filenames out to a text file and you'll then have a persistent log (that is still fragile) but it may be of use.

-Kirk

Offline fabianlujan

• sports photographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 12:44:40 PM »
Okay, I see the point Kirk.

Does the FTP upload generate a log?
If positive, can we check it? It will help.
It could be set that this log file return to zero after a couple of days, just to avoid an immense file.

Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 01:55:30 PM »
Fabian,

Does the FTP upload generate a log?
If positive, can we check it? It will help.
It could be set that this log file return to zero after a couple of days, just to avoid an immense file.

There is a checkbox in the lower left area of the Upload dialog titled "Save upload logs to folder:" and on the right side there is a button labeled "Choose..." that when clicked allows you to choose a folder to store your logs in.  Make sure you set the "Save upload logs to folder:" checkbox to checked.

I believe each session will cause a new file to be created so you won't have any single immense file.

HTH,

-Kirk