Author Topic: Apple's "Touch Bar" on the new MacBook Pro  (Read 9604 times)

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• PM 6 (6890) | macOS 14.3
    • View Profile
    • Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
Apple's "Touch Bar" on the new MacBook Pro
« on: October 27, 2016, 11:45:27 AM »
The Touch Bar on the new MacBook Pro looks pretty interesting. I'm skeptical about some things but I see others being really useful. Seems like it could really reduce some mouse usage. The Photoshop demonstration was cool.

Will Photo Mechanic be able to take advantage of it?
Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
https://www.instagram.com/kevin.m.cox/

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Apple's "Touch Bar" on the new MacBook Pro
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 02:04:21 PM »
Kevin,

The Touch Bar on the new MacBook Pro looks pretty interesting. I'm skeptical about some things but I see others being really useful. Seems like it could really reduce some mouse usage. The Photoshop demonstration was cool.

Will Photo Mechanic be able to take advantage of it?

Seeing as how I have just heard of it through you, I can safely say that we currently have no plans to support it at this time. ;)

Maybe later.

-Kirk

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 02:09:07 PM »
Come on Kirk, you mean you aren't watching the Apple live streams?!   :o  You should take a look, it is pretty slick.

The big question will be what happens for programs that don't have Touch Bar support built-in. Since it replaces the Function keys on the new models, that means it'll effect Photo Mechanic users either way.

Hopefully there will be an easy option to simply display F-keys when a program doesn't have something specific programmed.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 06:15:32 PM »
Kevin,

Come on Kirk, you mean you aren't watching the Apple live streams?!   :o  You should take a look, it is pretty slick.

The big question will be what happens for programs that don't have Touch Bar support built-in. Since it replaces the Function keys on the new models, that means it'll effect Photo Mechanic users either way.

Hopefully there will be an easy option to simply display F-keys when a program doesn't have something specific programmed.

I expect that the Touch Bar will default to the F-keys display for non-Touch Bar™-aware applications.

-Kirk

Offline Pavel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 09:23:20 AM »
Macs stay current for a long while, and my 2012 is still going strong. Judging how it satisfies my performance criteria it' likely only half way through its eight year or so life.  But the Touch bar is a feature I find to be something that may transform the ergonomic aspects of my editing workflow in such a profound way (if after market software companies implement it with the forethought and eye towards details that Apples native apps seem to have received) that I will be there, hard earned cash in hand, buying this machine, for that one feature, three or four months after release. Of course I never but that fast, it's normally wise to wait for version two, BUT, I've not been this inspired by the workflow possibilities of something new - well, honestly, since I first discovered Photomechanic, and it's sublime ways, way back when.

I vote that all of you gentlemen, with a refined taste for the good things in (editing) life, which you obviously have my virtue of your good taste in using Photomechanic in the first place - that you all take up a collection and purchase for Kirk one of the first 15" models off the line.  He surely will see the light, and burn the midnight oil coding.  Yeah.  Think of it as a small investment in your future efficiency and happiness! :D

If you buy it, Kirk will build, right?  Just like in the movies. It shall be epic! :D

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 02:27:26 PM »
Kevin,

I expect that the Touch Bar will default to the F-keys display for non-Touch Bar™-aware applications.

-Kirk

As I see the Touch Bar does not default to the F1-F12 keys with non touch supporting apps. You have to press the FN key to get the F1-F12 keys.

It would be great to add PM the feature to switch the touch bar to F keys. But maybe not all is needed and some of the bar could be used for more interesting things like displaying the Ingest/Upload progress bars, rating or colour filters, etc.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 03:21:35 PM »
As I see the Touch Bar does not default to the F1-F12 keys with non touch supporting apps. You have to press the FN key to get the F1-F12 keys.

It would be great to add PM the feature to switch the touch bar to F keys. But maybe not all is needed and some of the bar could be used for more interesting things like displaying the Ingest/Upload progress bars, rating or colour filters, etc.

I am quite sure there will be an option in the System Settings to turn the keys to respond directly as function key without having to press the fn key, just as with the normal function keys on a Mac without touch bar.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 02:43:24 PM »
I am quite sure there will be an option in the System Settings to turn the keys to respond directly as function key without having to press the fn key, just as with the normal function keys on a Mac without touch bar.

There is, but it isn't very intuitive to find the setting. The directions here list the steps to have an app show Function keys by default: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207240

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 08:28:36 AM »
Thanks for the info!

The “might work for some applications” part is a bit worrisome though…
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2017, 05:51:14 PM »
That setting works fine for Photo Mechanic, but putting in dedicated buttons for the five PM function key options would make them bigger targets while also leaving the control strip visible at right which would be very nice to have since I have several frequently used buttons in there.