Author Topic: PM not 'remembering' starring  (Read 3971 times)

Offline DrBobke

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM not 'remembering' starring
« on: August 27, 2017, 03:40:00 PM »
Hi all,

I have been using PM5 for some time now and really love it.  However, after a recent trip, (where I shot roughly 4500-5000 images), I culled images every day, and only transferred the 1 and 3 stars.  I edited those in LR, but kept the 0 stars on the laptop.  I edited some of the images in LR, exported them as jpegs in the same folder, so PM shows me the edited versions - which has always worked fine, as it has now.

However, 2 days ago, the issues started when going through the images again, and 'awarding' 1 star to "0" images.  I do see the 1 star appear, just to see it disappear within a second again.  This happens for multiple pictures and happens after some culling (in the beginning, it works fine).

The issue happens when LR is open, and when it is not open (and anyway, the "0" stars are not in LR).  LR is set to write .xmp files automatically, but this shouldn't be the issue and it has always worked fine for me in the past...

I checked in PM5 and it should be the latest version 5.0 build 18729 (fc44301).  I have tried restarting my laptop a bunch of times, waiting for some time, deleting a bunch of "0" stars already to free up space, and even deleting the cache (both memory, as sort), but nothing seems to work... :(

Any idea what is going on? I have tried searching on the forum, but couldn't really find it..

Greetz,

Robert

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM not 'remembering' starring
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 10:56:47 PM »
Robert,

I have been using PM5 for some time now and really love it.  However, after a recent trip, (where I shot roughly 4500-5000 images), I culled images every day, and only transferred the 1 and 3 stars.  I edited those in LR, but kept the 0 stars on the laptop.  I edited some of the images in LR, exported them as jpegs in the same folder, so PM shows me the edited versions - which has always worked fine, as it has now.

However, 2 days ago, the issues started when going through the images again, and 'awarding' 1 star to "0" images.  I do see the 1 star appear, just to see it disappear within a second again.  This happens for multiple pictures and happens after some culling (in the beginning, it works fine).

The issue happens when LR is open, and when it is not open (and anyway, the "0" stars are not in LR).  LR is set to write .xmp files automatically, but this shouldn't be the issue and it has always worked fine for me in the past...

I checked in PM5 and it should be the latest version 5.0 build 18729 (fc44301).  I have tried restarting my laptop a bunch of times, waiting for some time, deleting a bunch of "0" stars already to free up space, and even deleting the cache (both memory, as sort), but nothing seems to work... :(

Any idea what is going on? I have tried searching on the forum, but couldn't really find it..

Where are the images stored?  Are the .XMP files being modified when you change the rating?

-Kirk

Offline DrBobke

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 12:17:40 AM »
Hi Kirk,

Images are on the C: drive (laptop).

I had hidden the .xmp files in WIN10, and have put the on "show them again", but the .xmp file is not changing.  In the 'grid' overview in PM, I can give a star to the image, it shows for a second, and then disappears..  In the preview (where the large images appear), it doesn't register at all it seems.

When taking one "0" and imported it into LR, I could give it one star there, and it remembers, although it seems it wasn't transferred to PM.  Other images, which I had first imported into LR (having a 1*) and deciding I wanted to delete, I gave a 0* in PM, which registered, but then wasn't carried over to LR.

I really have no clue what is going on and why it is not working...

BTW: I have successfully culled other images (in another folder on my laptop, 2 days ago), after already having had issues with this folder.

In LR, I have also tried "Metadata" ==> "Read Metadata from file", but that didn't do anything either.  I also noticed that images I have deleted yesterday via PM, only got rid of the RAW (.CR2 files), and not the adjoining .xmp sidecar file (maybe because I had the .xmp files hidden in the explorer window?).

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 08:15:45 AM »
Images are on the C: drive (laptop).

I had hidden the .xmp files in WIN10, and have put the on "show them again", but the .xmp file is not changing.  In the 'grid' overview in PM, I can give a star to the image, it shows for a second, and then disappears..  In the preview (where the large images appear), it doesn't register at all it seems.

When taking one "0" and imported it into LR, I could give it one star there, and it remembers, although it seems it wasn't transferred to PM.  Other images, which I had first imported into LR (having a 1*) and deciding I wanted to delete, I gave a 0* in PM, which registered, but then wasn't carried over to LR.

I really have no clue what is going on and why it is not working...

BTW: I have successfully culled other images (in another folder on my laptop, 2 days ago), after already having had issues with this folder.

In LR, I have also tried "Metadata" ==> "Read Metadata from file", but that didn't do anything either.  I also noticed that images I have deleted yesterday via PM, only got rid of the RAW (.CR2 files), and not the adjoining .xmp sidecar file (maybe because I had the .xmp files hidden in the explorer window?).

Please post a screen shot of your IPTC/XMP settings here.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline DrBobke

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 11:47:16 AM »
here you go! :)

Just a bit of a workaround with a picture, but it works..

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 01:03:30 PM »
OK, thanks.  Your settings look fine.  I'd like to see your Photo Mechanic log.  In Photo Mechanic go to the Help menu and choose "Reveal Support Data..." and moments later a Windows Explorer window will come forward with the zipped log file selected.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline DrBobke

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 04:14:09 PM »
Hi Kirk,

Thanks a lot, here is the zip-file attached!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 04:31:07 PM »
Thanks.  PM is unable to open an XMP file for writing:

_D4_2239.XMP

I expect that there is some sort of permissions problem that is preventing PM from opening and updating the file.  Once corrected, I expect PM to work well with your files again.

-Kirk

Offline DrBobke

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017, 11:59:46 PM »
Hi Kirk,

Seems to work right now..  I have selected all .xmp files and unhidden them in the explorer window (I had already done that, so I could see the .xmp files - show hidden items), but I have now unhidden them via the settings.

I didn't expect the changes done in the explorer view, to impact this in PM (and for some images, it worked fine for the starring, whereas all xmp files were hidden).
Originally, I had hidden the xmp files from the explorer view, to have a less cluttered overview...

Seems to be sorted now and thanks a lot for your help again!