Author Topic: 64 bit update  (Read 3931 times)

Offline reefer

• View Profile
64 bit update
« on: September 26, 2017, 12:48:03 AM »
Hi,

I understand that with the release of OSX High Sierra 32 bit apps are no longer supported, can we expect an update in the near future?

Offline Tony Hall

• View Profile
    • Tony Hall Photography
Re: 64 bit update
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 01:39:43 AM »
We're not quite there yet.

Apple says that High Sierra will be the last version of macOS to support 32-bit apps “without compromise.”

The timeline is...starting in January of 2018, all new apps submitted to the Mac App Store must be 64-bit, and all apps and app updates submitted must be 64-bit by June 2018. With the next version of macOS (after High Sierra) Apple will begin "aggressively" warning users about 32-bit apps before eventually phasing them out all together.

So we've got a little while yet (around 2019) and as I understand it, from postings here, Photo Mechanic 6 is currently feature locked so I assume it should be released before the next version of macOS (I hope!).

Looking through my list of 32bit apps, the vast majority are from Adobe.

As I understand it the current situation is..."Don't Panic!".  :)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 02:31:16 AM by Tony Hall »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 07:54:30 AM »
PM6 will be a 64-bit application on both macOS and Windows.

-Kirk

Offline reefer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 08:15:21 AM »
Thanks to both for the reply. Should the current version of PM run just fine on High Sierra?

I'd not even considered PM6, is this something due along in the not too distant future?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 10:58:05 AM »
Thanks to both for the reply. Should the current version of PM run just fine on High Sierra?

If PM5 has problems on the release version of High Sierra, we will address those problems.  We always discourage users from upgrading to any new OS until at least a few updates have been released.

I'd not even considered PM6, is this something due along in the not too distant future?

It is what we're putting all of our time and effort into for the past few years and we expect to show something soon.

-Kirk