Author Topic: Questions re Shutting Down Software  (Read 3269 times)

Offline dbvirago

• View Profile
Questions re Shutting Down Software
« on: March 25, 2018, 07:53:34 AM »
I used PM extensively yesterday, jumping between PM and LR with no problems. At some point, I shut them both down. When I restarted this morning, a couple of strange things happened.

One, some of the images I had changed in PM did not show as being changed in LR. I had to select them all, make a quick change and change back, then I got expected behavior in LR.

The other thing is, I spent a lot of time in structured keywords and made sure I saved to an external file often. This morning, my last few additions were not there, but they were in the external file. Is this normal? I assumed the external file was a backup for the internal DB.

I'm sure these are both user error, but wasn't sure what I was doing wrong. Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Questions re Shutting Down Software
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 03:42:33 PM »
I used PM extensively yesterday, jumping between PM and LR with no problems. At some point, I shut them both down. When I restarted this morning, a couple of strange things happened.

One, some of the images I had changed in PM did not show as being changed in LR. I had to select them all, make a quick change and change back, then I got expected behavior in LR.

The other thing is, I spent a lot of time in structured keywords and made sure I saved to an external file often. This morning, my last few additions were not there, but they were in the external file. Is this normal? I assumed the external file was a backup for the internal DB.

I'm sure these are both user error, but wasn't sure what I was doing wrong. Thanks

Did PM shutdown completely without any errors?  I would expect your Structured Keywords to match if nothing else was changed after you saved your file.

As for Lr not seeing the metadata updates, it is my understanding that one must tell Lr to read metadata from files (a command on the Metadata menu) in order to get it to update its database.

-Kirk

Offline dbvirago

• View Profile
Re: Questions re Shutting Down Software
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 05:12:29 PM »
Yes, it was a normal shutdown. The missing keywords had actually been applied to images before I closed the program. I'll keep an eye on it in the future. Meanwhile, I'm making sure I save often. I imagine eventually, my changes to the set will diminish.

I understand about LR, but after you make a change in another program, i.e. PM, the image in LR will display an icon to indicate it has been changed elsewhere so you can decide what to do about it. This didn't happen in some of them. Not a PM problem, just thought you might be familiar with it if it was something I was or was not doing in PM.

Thanks