Author Topic: Can't Tag images  (Read 9181 times)

Offline brecord

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Can't Tag images
« on: January 30, 2018, 01:43:46 PM »
I was using photo mechanic today to cull a wedding and all of the sudden I can't tag/star/colorcode/rate images anymore. 

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Can't Tag images
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 02:30:06 PM »
I was using photo mechanic today to cull a wedding and all of the sudden I can't tag/star/colorcode/rate images anymore.

Where are the images stored?  If you try and work with a different set of images, are you able to tag/star/colorcode those images?

-Kirk

Offline adheidt

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 11:41:29 AM »
I'm also having this issue. I'm able to tag images stored on other hard drives, and I'm able to tag some images on the drive that is effected, but the tagging quits working. When I restart my Mac, the tagging works again. I'm ingesting my photos to two drives, one being the desktop of my Mac, the second being a drive where I keep a backup of my raw files.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 12:45:03 PM »
I'm also having this issue. I'm able to tag images stored on other hard drives, and I'm able to tag some images on the drive that is effected, but the tagging quits working. When I restart my Mac, the tagging works again. I'm ingesting my photos to two drives, one being the desktop of my Mac, the second being a drive where I keep a backup of my raw files.

I'd like to see your Photo Mechanic log.  In Photo Mechanic go to the Help menu and choose "Reveal Support Data..." and moments later a Finder window will come forward with the zipped log file selected.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline adheidt

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 06:55:54 AM »
Kirk-
Here is my Photo Mechanic Log. If it also helps you, I'm running macOS High Sierra, 10.13.2.

Thanks,
Andy

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 08:11:20 AM »
Andy,

Thanks for the log.  Can you check to see if the following file exists and that you can access it?

/Users/aheidt/Desktop/2018-02-09D Residence Halls/20180209Da 023.NEF

PM thinks it exists, but the error it is getting while reading from the file indicates that it does not exist.

What file system does your boot drive have on it?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline adheidt

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 12:30:25 PM »
Kirk-
That file does exist, but not in that threaded location; it's an image that I was able to tag and then move to the trash. I was able to move it back into the original ingest location. I've attached a screenshot from Disk Utility showing the file system that is running on my boot drive.
-Andy

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 01:36:41 PM »
Andy,

Are you embedding XMP metadata into your NEF files?  Or are you using XMP sidecar files?

-Kirk

Offline adheidt

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 02:39:34 PM »
Kirk-
I’m embedding XMP into the NEF files.
-Andy

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 09:16:37 PM »
Andy,

I’m embedding XMP into the NEF files.

Thanks.  Because of a serious filesystem bug that we've discovered with Apple's new APFS file system, we suggest not embedding XMP into RAW files.  Use XMP sidecar files.  We're working on a workaround, but unfortunately the method turns out to be much slower than the methods we currently use.

Hopefully Apple will fix the bug that we've reported soon.  We will release an update that works around the problem, but the issue is completely non-existent when using XMP sidecar files.

This thread has more details on the problem: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=11238.0

-Kirk

Offline adheidt

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2018, 06:42:44 AM »
Thanks, Kirk, for looking into this for me.
-Andy