Photo Mechanic > Support

DNG - Metadata sync with Capture One

<< < (2/5) > >>

Odd Skjaeveland:

--- Quote from: Kirk Baker on February 11, 2018, 08:33:53 PM ---XMP should be embedded in all DNG files, even those made by Leica cameras.

--- End quote ---

You are of course well versed in the language used in specification, such as the often used words "may", "should", "must" and their negatives. Your previous reference to the DNG specification sparks my interest in this matter.

Could you please refer me to the exact point in the specification that bars PM from honoring sidecars with DNG, which I presume would also be why Capture One must not produce them?

Phase One apparently adheres strictly to "never change a raw file, not even a DNG".  A solid reference to the DNG spec may perhaps help to shift their position, though I have my doubts.

If CB's "do not honor DNG sidecars" is set in stone, I guess Phase One could solve this by producing a DNG copy with embedded metadata rather than just producing a sidecar with metadata. Users having Capture One and PM in their workflow, may find that very inconvenient.

FxRphoto:
I would want to add some elements for thought in this topic. I am not used with Capture One, I have tested it some times ago but I don't use it for work. But It is a catalog based software, and I think that if Capture One creates an XMP files for metadata, this file will likely be readable only by Capture One.

And that's the point.

Before using PM, I have used Adobe Lightroom for 8 years . All my Leica DNGs had metadatas, writen inside Lightroom. But actually, the metadatas are not writen inside the files, unless you export them. So, when I switched from Lightroom to PM, all the captions, titles, copyrights were lost. At least, almost lost, since I had the choice to export all my files (about 80000, it is a long export...) or force lightroom to update the DNG (wich is nearly as long). And not only the metadata were lost but also, obviously, the settings (though in Lightroom, you are use to that, since sometimes they change the process, and I have noticed that all the files processed in 2008, had not the good settings...)

So, to come to the point, having your metadatas correctly writen inside the files are the best way to not lose all your work, if, for a reason or another, you have to move from a software to another. In the long time, for me it is obvious. And that is why I do not favor catalog like softwares.

Of course, this come with an issue : if you make some backups or syncing with another computer, everytime you make a change in the metadatas, the file will be copied on the whole.

Fx

Odd Skjaeveland:

--- Quote from: FxRphoto on June 11, 2018, 02:31:33 AM ---...But It is a catalog based software...

--- End quote ---

Yes and no. Capture One users can opt for running the software with or without a catalog. The two modes are referred to as "catalog" and "session".

Odd Skjaeveland:

--- Quote from: FxRphoto on June 11, 2018, 02:31:33 AM ---...and I think that if Capture One creates an XMP files for metadata, this file will likely be readable only by Capture One.

And that's the point.

--- End quote ---

I use multiple raw formats. PM honors XMP-files created by Capture One for all except DNG. If I understand Kirk Baker correctly, it is a CB policy that PM must not honor XMP-files when the corresponding image files are DNGs. That policy is, if I got this right, based on Adobe's DNG specification.

Moreover, I can trick PM into reading XMP created by Capture One for a DNG just by replacing the DNG with a NEF file (different image file, same name except for .nef extension rather than .dng). PM happily reads Title, Description, Rating and Color label  and more from that XMP, made by Capture One for a DNG image file.

Soizic:
I use C1 with session, and I try for a Leica picture (1.dng):

C1 put a keyword and a town in metadata
Then I export 1-export.dng in another folder

Aperçu (Mac Preview) see metadata of 1-export.dng, PM is unable to see  this picture.
Why this difference ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version