Author Topic: can I make a custom field in IPTC Info?  (Read 2489 times)

Offline vaughnridley

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
can I make a custom field in IPTC Info?
« on: June 07, 2018, 06:56:24 AM »
Is it yet possible to customize IPTC Info fields?
I would like to add a 'Supp Cat 4:' field under the Status header but I am struggling.....

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: can I make a custom field in IPTC Info?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 11:39:06 AM »
Is it yet possible to customize IPTC Info fields?
I would like to add a 'Supp Cat 4:' field under the Status header but I am struggling.....

No, you cannot make your own fields.

-Kirk

Offline vaughnridley

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 12:40:35 PM »
I'm kind of surprised this function is not available but I guess there must be a reason.
Thanks for your reply Kirk.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 12:51:53 PM »
I'm kind of surprised this function is not available but I guess there must be a reason.
Thanks for your reply Kirk.

There would need to be a way to create a custom namespace first.  If you simply want to customize the labels that appear in the dialog (to match other apps) you can do this, but to add fields to an existing standard (like adding an actual Supp Cat 4 that other apps could recognize) is not something that can 'just work'.  All other apps would need to be coded to recognize your new standard.

-Kirk

Offline vaughnridley

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 01:13:18 PM »
I tried to change the name of a field that I don't use. I then can save it in the Customize IPTC Info box with all the Fields and Field labels but when I check after clicking on the 'i', it is not there. I have made sure that Enable and Visible are both checked but still no joy.....

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 01:35:01 PM »
I tried to change the name of a field that I don't use. I then can save it in the Customize IPTC Info box with all the Fields and Field labels but when I check after clicking on the 'i', it is not there. I have made sure that Enable and Visible are both checked but still no joy.....

Are you sure you customized the IPTC Info and not the IPTC Stationery Pad?  You should customize both to be consistent.  Please understand that this won't actually create a "Supp Cat 4" field in the actual metadata.

-Kirk

Offline vaughnridley

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 03:04:49 PM »
I just changed the info not the stationary pad.  I don't use the stationary pad. If it won't appear in the actual metadata then I will just leave it.  It would be useful as sometime jobs require a 4th Supp Cat.... Thanks for your advice Kirk.