Author Topic: Photo Mechanic Upgrade Message On Start-Up  (Read 2644 times)

Offline Ana

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Photo Mechanic Upgrade Message On Start-Up
« on: October 04, 2018, 04:25:09 AM »
Hello,

1) I run Photo Mechanic 5.0 on my Apple OS 10.11.6. Every time I start up Photo Mechanic, I get a message that there is a new version of the program available but if I download, it looks as if it's not compatible with my older license. Is this correct? Also, when I scroll over the program in my dock, it says Photo Mechanic 7, but when I look at the program itself, it says Photo Mechanic 5.

How much does it cost to update to the most current version? What are some of the major changes? And, is there a way to disable this message about downloading the new version every time I open photo mechanic?

2) Is it ok to trash the previous iteration of the program, Photo Mechanic 4.5.3.2? Will my more recent version still work?

3) Also, what is the reason I would want to ingest photos versus just dragging and dropping them from their original folder?

Thanks for your help! I appreciate it.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Photo Mechanic Upgrade Message On Start-Up
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 08:36:15 AM »
1) I run Photo Mechanic 5.0 on my Apple OS 10.11.6. Every time I start up Photo Mechanic, I get a message that there is a new version of the program available but if I download, it looks as if it's not compatible with my older license. Is this correct? Also, when I scroll over the program in my dock, it says Photo Mechanic 7, but when I look at the program itself, it says Photo Mechanic 5.

I have no idea how you have a Photo Mechanic application that says it is Photo Mechanic 7.  Photo Mechanic 5 is the current release and Photo Mechanic 6 is on the way.

How much does it cost to update to the most current version?

If you own a license to Photo Mechanic version 5 then all updates to Photo Mechanic 5 are free.

What are some of the major changes?

You can read about all of the changes to all of the Photo Mechanic 5 builds here:
http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?board=15.0

And, is there a way to disable this message about downloading the new version every time I open photo mechanic?

Sure.  You can make it stop checking for updates if that is what you want.  On the Help menu is a menu item named "Software Update...".  Choose it and uncheck the "Check for Updates:" checkbox, then click the OK button.

2) Is it ok to trash the previous iteration of the program, Photo Mechanic 4.5.3.2? Will my more recent version still work?

That should be OK, but keeping it around shouldn't hurt anything.

3) Also, what is the reason I would want to ingest photos versus just dragging and dropping them from their original folder?

Dragging and dropping a file or folder onto PM opens a Contact Sheet on the folder containing the images.  You would be browsing the images at their location.

Ingest copies files from the source to up to two destination locations.  It's a fancy downloader.  Generally you use it when you have a camera card full of images and you want to get them stored safely on your system.

I encourage you to read the manual here to learn more about Photo Mechanic 5: http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php/User_Manual_Flat_View

HTH,

-Kirk