Photo Mechanic > General Discussion

Photo Mechanic + Lightroom - What happens to all the information entered into PM

<< < (2/4) > >>

mikemyers:
Thank you for reviewing all that.  I think I understand completely.

I guess I need to ingest *everything* on my cards, and if I remember, shoot in either DNG or JPG, but not both.  I wish I had purchased PM long ago, especially back when I was "working" at these things. 

It's probably asking too much, but does PM also work with exporting images into "Raw Therapee", in addition to being able to export into Lightroom?   I think I'm going to keep those images in a separate location.  If I'm shooting in DNG, and especially if I'm taking infrared images, Lightroom doesn't have the same capability as Raw Therapee.  I need to think this through, but I'm trying to ONLY import (ingest) photos into PM, to take advantage of those tools before doing any editing. 

Kirk Baker:
Mike,

--- Quote from: mikemyers on November 28, 2018, 07:48:22 AM ---Thank you for reviewing all that.  I think I understand completely.

I guess I need to ingest *everything* on my cards, and if I remember, shoot in either DNG or JPG, but not both.  I wish I had purchased PM long ago, especially back when I was "working" at these things. 
--- End quote ---

There is nothing inherently wrong with shooting RAW+JPEG.

--- Quote from: mikemyers on November 28, 2018, 07:48:22 AM ---It's probably asking too much, but does PM also work with exporting images into "Raw Therapee", in addition to being able to export into Lightroom?   I think I'm going to keep those images in a separate location.  If I'm shooting in DNG, and especially if I'm taking infrared images, Lightroom doesn't have the same capability as Raw Therapee.  I need to think this through, but I'm trying to ONLY import (ingest) photos into PM, to take advantage of those tools before doing any editing.

--- End quote ---

PM is a browser and does not need to import anything, nor does it control your images such that they need to be exported to another application.  So yes, PM can work with "Raw Therapee" and just about any other image editing program that you can think of.

Ingest is used to copy images from camera cards and is simply a "downloader", but you can browse the cards directly with PM if you want instead (we don't recommend this because unless you've copied your images from the card, then those images are the only copy of those images that you have and data loss is a distinct possibility.

HTH,

-Kirk

mikemyers:
Following what you wrote, for these infrared photos, I will use PM to ingest the raw images from the card, saving them in a properly named folder (with PM), and rename the DNG images using PM.  From filling out all the information, I will have a "sidecar" file for these images, with the added information.  All of this will be more easily findable thanks to the PM naming tools.

The images will be filed away in a logical order in an area separate from my Lightroom images.  I understand now what  you mean - at that point, I'm "done".  Then, I get to edit them in Raw Therapee, which does not modify the original DNG image, but creates another "sidecar" file for each image I have worked on, containing the editing commands.  Presumably when this is done, I will have the original DNG image, the sidecar info file from PM, the sidecar editing file from RT, and most likely an edited and saved JPG image, the result of my RT editing (possibly several, if I re edit several times until I am satisfied).

It's all starting to fall into place.  Thanks again.
This started out as SO confusing, but the various YouTube videos were a huge help to get me started, and this forum seems to be a goldmine of good information and answers.

Kirk Baker:
Mike,

--- Quote from: mikemyers on November 28, 2018, 09:08:10 AM ---Following what you wrote, for these infrared photos, I will use PM to ingest the raw images from the card, saving them in a properly named folder (with PM), and rename the DNG images using PM.  From filling out all the information, I will have a "sidecar" file for these images, with the added information.
--- End quote ---

DNG files won't have XMP sidecar files.  Metadata is written directly into DNG files by PM and Adobe's products.

--- Quote from: mikemyers on November 28, 2018, 09:08:10 AM ---The images will be filed away in a logical order in an area separate from my Lightroom images.  I understand now what  you mean - at that point, I'm "done".  Then, I get to edit them in Raw Therapee, which does not modify the original DNG image, but creates another "sidecar" file for each image I have worked on, containing the editing commands.  Presumably when this is done, I will have the original DNG image, the sidecar info file from PM, the sidecar editing file from RT, and most likely an edited and saved JPG image, the result of my RT editing (possibly several, if I re edit several times until I am satisfied).
--- End quote ---

Sounds correct with the exception of a sidecar file created by PM--it won't do that with DNG files.  Rest assured that your keywords and other metadata changes will be seen by Lightroom when you import those images into it.

-Kirk

Bob M:

--- Quote from: mikemyers on November 28, 2018, 07:48:22 AM ---It's probably asking too much, but does PM also work with exporting images into "Raw Therapee", in addition to being able to export into Lightroom?   I think I'm going to keep those images in a separate location.  If I'm shooting in DNG, and especially if I'm taking infrared images, Lightroom doesn't have the same capability as Raw Therapee.  I need to think this through, but I'm trying to ONLY import (ingest) photos into PM, to take advantage of those tools before doing any editing.

--- End quote ---

I use PM and Raw Therapee together.  The main issue that I run into is that PM doesn't understand .pp3 files.  Consequently these need to be handled manually for copy/move, ftp, delete, etc.  But I only use Raw Therapee to develop the final jpg.  These go into a sub folder.  I then use PM to remove all metadata from those files and then add back the metadata that I want.  Raw Therapee does not understand or use .xmp files (I believe) and thus I wouldn't trust metadata to faithfully survive the journey from PM to Raw Therapee to the resultant jpeg (or tiff) although I haven't explicitly tested this.  And adding GIMP into the mix would complicate things even further.  But of course, if Raw Therapee carries through and changes from .pp3 files to .xmp files, then it's a whole new ball game.  Then I guess the issues changes as to whether Raw Therapee and PM play nice with each others .xmp files.

I very much like both PM and Raw Therapee and I have found ways to work around the incompatibilities.  I just wish PM was Linux friendly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version