Author Topic: SEARCH capability of Photo Mechanic  (Read 4005 times)

Offline mikemyers

• Have Camera, Will Travel
    • View Profile
    • Smugmug Gallery
SEARCH capability of Photo Mechanic
« on: November 27, 2018, 07:13:18 AM »
I do volunteer work at Aravind Eye Hospital.  They recently moved their entire collection of photos into Lightroom, mainly to get the use of the SEARCH function, looking for keywords.

They may get up to 500,000 images, and 5,000 keywords.  Someone may want to search for images looking for up to ten keywords at a time.

If they were to 'ingest' their entire photo library into PM, including 'keywords', would they be able to search for the photos in this database that have the keywords they are searching for?

This would only be for searching for photos.  I don't yet know enough about PM to know how searches work.

To make it easier to understand what I'm asking, if this was a race track, not a hospital, would they be able to search for "driver name" + "track name" + "year", for all the images in a database?  .....and get a list of all their photos of that driver, at that track, in that year?
Mike Myers
m.smugmug.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: SEARCH capability of Photo Mechanic
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 08:59:51 AM »
I do volunteer work at Aravind Eye Hospital.  They recently moved their entire collection of photos into Lightroom, mainly to get the use of the SEARCH function, looking for keywords.

They may get up to 500,000 images, and 5,000 keywords.  Someone may want to search for images looking for up to ten keywords at a time.

If they were to 'ingest' their entire photo library into PM, including 'keywords', would they be able to search for the photos in this database that have the keywords they are searching for?

This would only be for searching for photos.  I don't yet know enough about PM to know how searches work.

To make it easier to understand what I'm asking, if this was a race track, not a hospital, would they be able to search for "driver name" + "track name" + "year", for all the images in a database?  .....and get a list of all their photos of that driver, at that track, in that year?

PM5 does not have a 'database'.  The search facility in PM5 on macOS is powered by the Spotlight feature in macOS and is limited in functionality.  Spotlight works great with JPEGs but not with RAW files.  Also, PM5 cannot handle showing you 500,000 images in a single contact sheet.

The Search feature in PM5 is 'handy' but it isn't industrial-strength.

The upcoming catalog module for PM6 will handle your data set and works quite well with all media types that PM supports.

-Kirk

Offline uberfarben

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 03:21:51 PM »
Kirk,

Will PM6 be able to support multi-users? How long does un-cached search take in a 500k database? We're all looking forward to seeing PM6 in a few weeks.

Chris

Offline mikemyers

• Have Camera, Will Travel
    • View Profile
    • Smugmug Gallery
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 07:08:34 PM »
Kirk, thanks for the prompt reply. 

I'm thinking of "ingesting" the entire folder of the hospital's images, potentially up to 500,000 eventually, and scanning for keywords to find images.  I'll wait until this is released before I ask more.

(Can I configure this website to send me an email specifically when one of my questions gets a reply?)
Mike Myers
m.smugmug.com

Offline Matthew

• View Profile
    • matt-horwood.com
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 06:35:27 AM »
If you click ?Notify? at either the top or bottom of a topic you should get an email when there is a reply.