Author Topic: PM6 Search my Mac  (Read 34841 times)

Offline runner

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM6 Search my Mac
« on: March 25, 2019, 08:42:33 AM »
Hi I'm really struggling to find the Search my Mac, spotlight search, I can't work out how to configure the PM6 toolbar so whereby I can see it, can somebody point me in the right direction please.

macOS 10.14.3

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM6 Search my Mac
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 08:45:30 AM »
Hi I'm really struggling to find the Search my Mac, spotlight search, I can't work out how to configure the PM6 toolbar so whereby I can see it, can somebody point me in the right direction please.

Spotlight search integration was removed in PM6.  It never worked very well and interfered with the development of the full Catalog features coming in Photo Mechanic Plus.

The configurable toolbar in the Contact Sheet window was also removed in PM6.

-Kirk

Offline henrikbo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 12:47:25 PM »
Please bring it back - it worked fine for me and I need it

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 01:13:06 PM »

It won't be coming back.  The Catalog features in the Plus version are far superior to it and we can't support both systems.

-Kirk

Offline steveatcb

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 05:57:33 PM »
This is a big loss for me as well.  Is there any way in PM6 to search EXIF data?

Thanks,
Steve

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 06:39:46 PM »
Steve,

This is a big loss for me as well.  Is there any way in PM6 to search EXIF data?

No, there is not an EXIF search in PM6.

-Kirk

Offline Henry Gilbey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2019, 10:37:23 PM »
Help! So I can't now search my photo library for specific keywords like I do a hell of a lot in PM5?

Deal-breaker for me, can't upgrade to PM6 .

What's this new "Plus" version, how much will it cost, and is there the ability to search a photo library for specific keywords included?

Offline canon400

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 12:29:07 AM »
je comprend pas d'avoir enlever cela car pour moi c'était la chose essentiel de se servir de PM5.
Vous parlez d'une version "PM6 plus"sans donner de délai ni de tarif pour cette version
vas t'on trouver un catalogue qui se rapproche de Lightroom?
Que du noir et blanc dans la barre d'outil c'est sobre mais pas clair
Une version française enfin svp, il n'y pas que des anglophones qui se serve de PM?

Offline GLS

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 05:22:19 AM »
Hello,
Also extremely disappointed by the disappearance of the search function. A key element in my use of PM.
If this is coming back with a PLUS version I will consider buying that one. For now I cannot leave PM5

Any info on the release-cost of the PM 6 plus version and details about it?

Offline tgray

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2019, 05:49:45 PM »
Help! So I can't now search my photo library for specific keywords like I do a hell of a lot in PM5?

I think you can search keywords in the contact sheet with Edit>Find...

Offline Henry Gilbey

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2019, 10:36:48 PM »
Many thanks, and that can be useful, but it was the ability to search my entire photo library for say specific keywords that I can't do without............

I also have specific searches saved in PM5, it saves me so much time.

Offline sigfredo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2019, 03:45:25 AM »
Same problem for me. As a photojournalist, I do all the time quick search in order to copy and paste the IPTC templates.

So no useful to me new PM6, I'll rest on PM5 either if it is out-of-date. It's a shame because PM is the best software in the branch.

I hope you reconsider your decision.

Thanks,
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 03:35:58 AM by sigfredo »

Offline myotis

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2019, 05:35:27 AM »

Are you sure? 

I had been happy with the PM5 searches until, just by chance, I discovered it wasn't finding the same number of images that other programs were finding 

I did several comparisons between PM5 searches and and the same same searches in catalogue programs (Media Pro, Neofinder and Capture One). The latter three all found exactly the same number of images, but PM5 always failed to find some of them.

I raised it with support and got the same message as you got here, that the spotlight search was a bit flakey, and I just stopped using it.

Cheers,

Graham

Offline TrevorMoran

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2019, 07:55:10 AM »
Many thanks, and that can be useful, but it was the ability to search my entire photo library for say specific keywords that I can't do without............

I also have specific searches saved in PM5, it saves me so much time.

I'm trying to work out transitioning from "Search my Mac / Quick Search" in PM5 to "Find" in PM6.  Anyone know of a way to do a library-wide search using Keywords?  I have shoots/jobs separated into sub-folders, and being able to search across all folders and return results on a new contact sheet was super useful to me.  I can deal with not having the Quick Search bar and instead using the Find dialog box, but having to dig down into single-job folders to open a contact sheet to perform the search seems counter productive.  Also, any way to have the search results open into a new contact sheet, or hide non-results so that just the searched for images remain?  Just having them selected amongst thousands of images on the contact sheet again seems considerably less useful.

I want to embrace PM6, and understand the need to change back end systems and let go of old features that were cumbersome.  I'm chalking it up to my own negligence,  but have yet to see it demonstrated how the Find tool is a reasonable substitute for the Search my Mac bar removal - aside from the promises of "wait til you see Photo Mechanic Plus in a month or so".  All help appreciated.

Offline pano

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2019, 11:52:10 PM »
Same for me, i need this function nearly daily.
Kirk, is it possible for me as a pm6-buyer to ß-test the + version?
Best regards,
Volker