Author Topic: Time gap of two hours between stills and videos  (Read 7744 times)

Offline pjs

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Time gap of two hours between stills and videos
« on: April 09, 2019, 01:35:19 PM »
I've found a time gap of two hours between stills and videos. The capture time of photos (RAWs, JPEGs) are correct, but PM6 doesn't shows the correct capture time of a video clip. It's always -2 hours. I couldn't find this issue in version 5.

Here is a link to the video file.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/61gkqwuz48i8hc0/2PS_0657.MP4?dl=0

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Time gap of two hours between stills and videos
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 01:55:23 PM »
I've found a time gap of two hours between stills and videos. The capture time of photos (RAWs, JPEGs) are correct, but PM6 doesn't shows the correct capture time of a video clip. It's always -2 hours. I couldn't find this issue in version 5.

Here is a link to the video file.

Are you on macOS or Windows?

-Kirk

Offline pjs

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 01:58:54 PM »
macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
Photo Mechanic Version 6.0, build 2818

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 04:00:38 PM »
macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
Photo Mechanic Version 6.0, build 2818

What is the modification time and creation time of that video file on your system?  Select the file and use Get Info from the File menu in the Finder.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2019, 09:31:53 PM »
Kirk, could this be a difference between UTC and non-UTC interpretation of times?
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2019, 10:06:48 PM »
Hayo,

Kirk, could this be a difference between UTC and non-UTC interpretation of times?

Yes, that's why I'd like to see what the OP's computer thinks the time of the video files are.

-Kirk

Offline pjs

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019, 12:38:24 AM »
What is the modification time and creation time of that video file on your system?  Select the file and use Get Info from the File menu in the Finder.

Thanks,

-Kirk
Creation and modification time are both 21:20. That's correct.

Here the link to this original mp4 file (out of camera).

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2019, 01:39:23 AM »
I've had a look at the file you shared with us with exiftool. There's something odd with the dates in the file.

The EXIF date and time are correct and all show 21:20:18 as time of creation. BUT all QuickTime times are all set as 20:20:18 (and I think this is what PM6 is using when it displays the time of a video).

These QuickTime times are supposed to be in UTC (though many camera manufacturers don't adhere to this standard), which in this case should have gotten you 19:20:18, not 20:20:18 (your time zone is 2 hours ahead of UTC).

I'm not sure what caused this discrepancy, it could be a bug in the camera or have you perhaps adjusted the times in the file (in which case the times in the QuickTime block weren't adjusted similarly)?
Hayo Baan - Photography

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2019, 03:18:44 AM »
@Kirk,

I was wrong; PM6 doesn't use the QuickTime time(s) for showing the “capture time” of an MP4 file. Instead it seems to use the file modification time (but then in UTC). This surely is a bug; it should use the Date/Time Original from the file metadata for that!
Hayo Baan - Photography

Offline pjs

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2019, 03:47:47 AM »
I was a bit confused, because of the chronological order (sort by capture time) of the photos and videos after a job with the same camera were not correct. I never had this issue in PM5 before.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2019, 06:18:31 AM »
I was a bit confused, because of the chronological order (sort by capture time) of the photos and videos after a job with the same camera were not correct. I never had this issue in PM5 before.

Interesting. I just tried this in PM 5 and there too, PM uses the file modification date instead of the date from the metadata. So I guess PM does not yet extract metadata from MP4 files correctly (if at all). I'm surprised you didn't notice this issue before though.

Note: I think there's indeed a bug in your camera since it writes the QuickTime times incorrectly (I'm assuming the file came directly from your 1D x II).
Hayo Baan - Photography

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2019, 06:46:33 AM »
Photo Mechanic does not parse movie files for metadata, nor does it modify movies to insert metadata.  The capture time comes from the file creation time if it exists (not all file systems support creation time) or the modification time.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2019, 07:04:48 AM »
Photo Mechanic does not parse movie files for metadata, nor does it modify movies to insert metadata.  The capture time comes from the file creation time if it exists (not all file systems support creation time) or the modification time.

Hmm, any chance this will be changed in the future? I would consider not parsing movie files for metadata like creation date a huge issue…

That said, there definitely is a bug in PM6 in that it makes the “capture time” UTC instead of local time. I've verified this on my system. PM5 shows the local time, PM6 the UTC time. For the same file.
Hayo Baan - Photography

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2019, 08:37:46 AM »

Hmm, any chance this will be changed in the future? I would consider not parsing movie files for metadata like creation date a huge issue…

Sure, though any efforts on that front will be at a lower priority than image support and Catalog features.

That said, there definitely is a bug in PM6 in that it makes the “capture time” UTC instead of local time. I've verified this on my system. PM5 shows the local time, PM6 the UTC time. For the same file.

Thanks for investigating, Hayo.  I'll make sure that the times are consistent.

-Kirk

Offline pjs

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2019, 01:59:50 PM »
Note: I think there's indeed a bug in your camera since it writes the QuickTime times incorrectly (I'm assuming the file came directly from your 1D x II).
Even if there should be a bug in my camera, PM5 shows the right time and PM6 doesn't. Why? It's the same file…