Author Topic: Keywords  (Read 4576 times)

Offline stoner27

• View Profile
    • Colin Port Images Motorsport Photography
Keywords
« on: April 23, 2019, 11:25:08 PM »
Hi,

I make Smart Galleries on my website on Smugmug. I put 4 keywords into them, 3 are the same which i put into the IPTC Stationary Pad. I then need to select the riders from the photos in PM to import to LR to edit. This means that when i upload from LR to my website the photos will jump into the empty Smart Galleries on my website.

Are you with me ?

Question is, what is the best way to keyword the photos i select of riders in PM before i export ?

Col

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Keywords
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 08:01:40 AM »
Hi Col,

I'm not sure I understand your question. Is it about (smart) collections, or just about how to keyword with PM?
Sounds like you already found a way to do that efficiently using the Metadata template.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline stoner27

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 09:50:14 AM »
Hi Hayo,

It's how to keyword selected photos of certain riders (there could be 30 or 40) so maybe a way to have the riders names in their own keyword set.

I usually upload to the website with the 3 standard keywords on then wait until they are uploaded to the website, i then pic out the riders, keyword their name & that fills their gallery.

I was just thinking, why should i wait for them to upload (sometimes 2500 to 3000 photos) which could take all night when i can keyword the riders in the same way in PM before i import to LR.

I cull in PM and have empty folders for each class on my desktop that i drag the culled photos into, reason for this is they are the original unedited photos to save on a hard drive. I then import all the class folders into LR to edit, then use the LR Smugmug uploader to upload to my website.

So, my question is, i need maybe a set of keywords with just the riders names in PM or something similar so i can use the. Or what would you suggest for me to do before i import them to LR ?

Hope it makes sense :)

Col

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 11:31:23 AM »
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by “set of keywords”. Do you mean the keywords assigned to a single file, or just keywords to be able to select from?

If you mean finding a quick way of assigning (individual) rider names (as keywords) to your images, you might find using code replacements might be a good idea. That or you could fill the keyword list (click on the triangle button of the keyword field to get to the various options to control this list) so you'd only need to type a couple of letters of each rider name to select the ones you want.

Does this help?
Hayo Baan - Photography

Offline stoner27

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 11:53:53 AM »
Hi Hayo, thanks for your reply.

I have thought about code replacement before but it looks beyond me  :) Don't get me wrong I'm not stupid but looks like it would take a while to get my head around it.

So i will probably just use the keyword list, don't really understand 'Structured Keywords' either, do you think they would be better ?

Is there a shortcut to the Keyword panel ?

Col

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 01:10:37 AM »
Code replacements aren't that hard, but they do require setting up. But once done, they can speedup your workflow. E.g. instead of having to type the full name of a rider, you could use e.g. the rider's number like so \r123\  (I chose r as prefix here, but it could be anything, even nothing). In the code replacement file you'd have to then have the following on a single line: r123 followed by a tab character, followed by the rider's full name. You can do more complex stuff (and define multiple fields, e.g. for first name and last name separate), but this is the basic use.

Anyway, since we're talking keywording here, perhaps setting up the rider names as keywords is easier, you would just have to know their names. Entering them then just comes down to typing a couple of letters and selecting from the dropdown.

Structured keywords are really for cases where there is a structure. Like Animals|Birds|Waders|Duck (not a structure I'd use, but this explains it well, I think). I don't think this is relevant for the riders. Besides it would complicate adding names a bit, I think.

Does this help?
Hayo Baan - Photography

Offline stoner27

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 03:15:55 AM »
Yes that does help, I have listed in the keywords panel all the riders with their number first so I can just type the number in the list, maybe there will be a few with the same number but not many.

Thanks for your help.

Col